Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keychain problems

I keep getting messages asking for my login (Messages Agent, Cloudd, etc.) It will not accept my password and if i hit Cancel, another request pops up for another login... I have tried to go to Keychain Access and change my login, but just get the rainbow wheel, the applications stops responding and I have to force quit. I tried to go to iCloud preferences to delete logins, but the same thing happens (rainbow wheel, etc) I ran DiskUtility (no error found, permission errors corrected), restarted... same issues. So I reinstalled Yosemite, restarted and same problems. Any insight, and help would be greatly appreciated!

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Mar 15, 2018 8:15 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Mar 15, 2018 9:53 AM in response to Amy in Upstate

If your Mac keeps asking for the login keychain password

Everything You Need to Know About Keychain in macOS Sierra

Tutorial: Resolving Keychain Issues

If you can't access your keychain, or forget your password If you can't get into your keychain file because you've forgotten your password or the keychain file appears to be corrupt, there are a couple of options.

First, if you've forgotten your password, you can use the "Keychain First Aid" utility to make the keychain password the same as the login password. This can be accomplished via the following process:

1. Open Keychain Access (located in Applications/Utilities)

2. Go to the "Keychain Access" menu and select "Preferences"

3. Click the "First Aid" tab

4. Make sure the "Synchronize login keychain password" box is checked

5. Close the Preferences window

6. Go to the "Keychain Access" menu and select "Keychain First Aid"

7. Enter your username and password

8. Click the "Repair" button

The second option is to completely delete your keychain then recreate it. This routine is useful if your keychain appears to be corrupt or otherwise inaccessible. This can be accomplished as follows:

1. Launch Keychain Access (located in Applications/Utilities)

2. Click "Show Keychains" in the lower-left corner of the window.

3. Select the problematic keychain from the left-hand pane.

4. Navigate to the "File" menu and select "Delete Keychain '(name of keychain)'"

5. Check all options for deletion and press "OK"

6. Create a new keychain by going to the "File" menu, then "New" and select

"New Keychain"

7. You can now make this keychain your default if you desire by selecting it, then

going to the "File" menu and selecting "Make '(name of keychain)' Default"

Login as root and perform repair In some cases, problems with keychains can only be resolved when logged in as the root user.

First, you want to enable the root user:

1. OS X Mountain Lion: Enable and disable the root user

2. OS X Lion: Enable and disable the root user

3. Mac OS X 10.6: Enabling the root user

4. Enabling and using the "root" user in Mac OS X

After enabling the root user, and logging in under this account, again open Keychain Access. First attempt repairs using Keychain First Aid, and failing that, delete then recreate the keychain as described above while logged in as root.

Persistently asked for stored passwords If you are persistently asked for passwords in various applications that you have specified should be remembered in a keychain, your "login" keychain may not be active for one reason or another.

Navigate to ~/Library/Keychains/ (this is the Library folder inside your user's home folder). Find the file named "login.keychain" and double-click it.

Failing that, select the "login" keychain within the Keychain Access application and make sure it is the default keychain by going to the "File" menu and selecting "Make 'Login' Default"

Turn off Keychain synchronization in applications having problems If specific applications are experiencing issues when accessing password-protected material, the Keychain may be to blame.

The above comes from an article published on MacFixit.com.

Forgot Your Account Password

For Lion or later

Reset a Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Password

OS X Mountain Lion- Reset a login password,

OS X Mavericks- Solve password problems,

OS X Yosemite- Reset a login password.

El Capitan Password Reset.

macOS Sierra-Reset a login password.

Change or reset the password of a macOS user account - Apple Support.

Mar 15, 2018 4:29 PM in response to Amy in Upstate

There is no need to enable root user account , I asked this question from you because when you erase the hard drive and reinstall the os or do an archive installation these keychain pop ups or any system files that were not , working properly are erased and the user is with new operating system .

Either the installation was not successful or is there a hardware problem .

And did you tried to install the os at home or work place , I would suggest why not to visit apple authorised service centre or had a conversation with apple support .Even some times in my Mac any problem comes , generally send Mac to service centre but root user account is not enabled .

Keychain problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.