Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP X unexpectedly quits on iMac

I’m running FCP X 10.4 on both my iMac and my MacBook Pro. It’s working fine on my MBP but every time I try to open it on my iMac it unexpectedly quits.

Any ideas what to look for? Is it a system requirement thing? I’ve not tried it on my iMac since upgrading to High Sierra. The MBP is running High Sierra too but it’s a newer machine.

I’ve tried a few of the ‘fixes’ from a google search but nothing has worked so far.

Posted on Mar 15, 2018 10:37 AM

Similar questions

12 replies

Mar 17, 2018 10:05 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I have a similar problem running High Siera 10.13.3. I've un/reinstalled and trashed the prefs. I ran Etrecheck and nothing jumps out apart from this which is also in the app diagnostic data when FCPX fails:

CoreData could not fulfill a fault for '0x11b34000eb <x-coredata://A00C2400-A6E3-41FB-9AF8-D271A33339EC/CollectionMD/p18125>'

abort() called

It all started for me when I had a full hard drive and couldn't empty the recycle bin. Eventually found the reduce clutter function in About this mac>storage>manage to remove some large video files. Restarted computer and FCPX opens but closes immediately. Also ran disk utility first aid. Somethings gone amiss somewhere because I can log in using my normal account but there is no user entitled ‘myname’ in Macintosh HD/Users (I can't remember what looks normal in that folder). Could this be the issue?

Mar 19, 2018 5:23 AM in response to jonpbradley

jonpbradley wrote:

Thanks, here's the report...

Dropbox - ErtreCheck-Report.pdf

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2atma8yzamk7xx9/Jons-iMac.etrecheck?dl=0

Does that shed any light on anything?

Cleanmymac claims another victim.

You have a lot of unnecessary and old stuff in this mac, but cmm stands out. It is a scam and has wreaked havoc in so many mac people's macs. It is especially nasty for people running professional applications like FCP X.

You could uninstall it, following the developer's instructions, but almost certainly the damage has already been done.

I recommend that you make a full clone of your system drive to an external drive, then do an erase and install, and migrate only the user accounts - NOT applications and settings.

For the future, consider not installing a lot of unnecessary stuff, and reducing the number of login items. These are programs that are launched every time you log in, thus probably running all the time, and you may even not be aware of them. You have 17 login items, plus a number of user launch agents.

Mar 19, 2018 6:35 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks, I'll try that. I wonder if you can help with something related?

I tried opening my current FCP X library on the new user account but it suggested it was corrupted. I did manage to get it open at one point but then it crashed. Much of what I have on that old library isn't needed anymore but is there a way to get access to individual projects from the library and move them to a new library?

FCP X unexpectedly quits on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.