Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Files disappear from external hard drive

Hello,

I just bought an external hard drive for my mac, WD Elements 1 TB and I formatted it a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with a GUID Partition Map scheme and after about on hour of moving stuff around and trying to free up space on my Mac, all of the files on my external hard drive disappeared. I can still see that about 50 gig are used up but when I open the external hard drive the drive appears blank. What can or should I do to fix this? If I have to reformat the drive, should I choose a different format or scheme? If there any hope for saving the content?

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on

Page content loaded

Mar 15, 2018 10:12 AM in response to dennisfromcarolina In response to dennisfromcarolina

If you go into Disk Utility (Command Space to bring up Spotlight) then Type Disk and launch the app.

What are the results when you click on First Aide?

When you moved, did you do so through finder I'm assuming?

Mar 15, 2018 10:12 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 15, 2018 10:33 AM in response to dennisfromcarolina In response to dennisfromcarolina

I almost want to say take the HD back. I'm assuming you still have the files you moved over. In backup or still copied on your main drive.

Or, you can start in Recovery Mode and try to repair, restart, once you hear chime, hold Command + R until the computer boots, then go back to disk utility.

Mar 15, 2018 10:33 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: dennisfromcarolina

Question: Files disappear from external hard drive