Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restarting SyncServices

This is more of an FYI, in case somebody else has the same problem I did. My SugarSync desktop app kept crashing, and I eventually discovered via a file in $HOME/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports that it was because of FinderSyncExt.

Somehow Google eventually led me to OS X: Resetting Sync Services? with a resolution from User uploaded fileMacOde that started with :

Look at the file '$HOME/Library/Logs/Sync/syncservices.log'. You will likely see messages that contain:

"Can't upgrade SyncServices data schema in directory”. If you see this, you will need to get a clean copy of the directory: '$HOME/Library/Application\ Support/SyncServices/Local/'

followed by a really specific procedure using the terminal.

I'm not super comfortable with the terminal, so I decided to try a simpler option first. First, I uninstalled SugarSync. Then on another Mac logged into the same iTunes account, I navigated to $HOME/Library/Application Support/ and created a zip file of SyncServices. I copied the zipfile to $HOME/Library/Application Support/ on the Mac that wouldn't sync. Then I renamed the original folder to SyncServices-old and replaced it with the unzipped folder. When I reinstalled SugarSync after that, it started right up.

If you have the same sort of problem, maybe this can help.

p.s. For some reason this is in the OS X El Capitan community, but I have High Sierra.

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), null

Posted on Mar 15, 2018 10:15 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Mar 15, 2018 10:22 AM in response to urquiagal

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5847 used to include: 'OS X Mavericks v10.9 and later do not use SyncServices. Instead, Mavericks supports sharing your information using several network-based and cloud-based solutions. If you want to sync your information across multiple devices and computers, you should use one or more of these methods. These include iCloud, CardDAV servers, CalDAV servers, and servers that utilize the Exchange ActiveSync protocol.'

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6029737?answerId=25281097022#25281097022 - "SyncServices has been removed in Mavericks, so syncing using iTunes no longer works (we're talking about contacts, calendars etc., not music)."

Restarting SyncServices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.