Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: How do I store FCPX libraries on external drive

I'd like to store my FCPX libraries on dropbox so that I can access them from more than one computer. But when I tried moving a couple of test libraries I later found that they'd returned to their original (default) Movies folder.

I can live with that but wonder if what I was trying to do is possible.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), macOS Sierra (10.12.6), iTunes-current

Posted on

Page content loaded

Mar 15, 2018 12:53 PM in response to Gerret Warner In response to Gerret Warner

You can only use DropBox to make be like Barrie’s around by copying them. You could store the library in DropBox folder so it uploads automatically, but you can’t move libraries to DropBox and of course you can’t access them to work from the remote site.

Mar 15, 2018 12:53 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 15, 2018 1:40 PM in response to Tom Wolsky In response to Tom Wolsky

Sorry, Tom. I don't get it.

"You can only use DropBox to make be like Barrie’s around by copying them" ???

The whole idea of dropbox is that what's on your local dropbox folder is in your dropbox folder in the cloud. No?

If you copy a library and put it in dropbox then as you edit and update a library while editing the copy won't synchronize with the original library.

It sounds as if what I thought was possible is, in fact, not. It's not an important factor to me, more an issue of trying to understand the file structure and organization of the software.

Thanks again.

Mar 15, 2018 1:40 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 15, 2018 1:53 PM in response to Gerret Warner In response to Gerret Warner

Sorry about that.

What's in DropBox is a copy of what you have. There is a DropBox folder on your computer which syncs automatically and updates the files on the DropBox servers. If your library is in that folder, that will happen. How much that will slow down your working in FCP, or how close to real time that would be, I don't know.

While you work on it the FCP is being continuously being saved and updated. The undo queue is stored and updated in the library constantly, as is everything you do. So the library bundle, while you're working, is constantly being written to. How DropBox handles this I don't know.

Mar 15, 2018 1:53 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: Gerret Warner

Question: How do I store FCPX libraries on external drive