Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update OS 10.9.5 to High Sierra

I have a Mac Mini, Late 2012, using OS X version 10.9.5, which must be upgraded to 10.11 or later in order to run TurboTax 2017. When i request software update from the Apple bar — it recommends High Sierra 10.13.3 and directs me to the APP Store. The Macintosh HD has 464 GB available. While it appears my computer meets the specified requirements, the recommended High Sierra will not download. The APP Store pops up — "macos High Sierra failed to download — Use the Purchases page to try again.” i have tried this many times to no avail.

your help will be appreciated.

Posted on Mar 15, 2018 1:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2018 5:03 PM

IF your 'Mac Mini Late 2012' computer - most shipped with Mavericks 10.9.x and won't run

newer version third-party software, then an upgrade to El Capitan 10.11.6 should do nicely.

Or further upgrade ~ if you have read about the issues; make suitable precautionary backups

and then hope you get lucky with High Sierra. At least you may be able to revert w/ backups.

Last Sept 2017 finally I chose to upgrade from Mavericks 10.9.5 to El Capitan 10.11.6 and

made a partition on original 1-TB HDD for second OS X install. It works OK. So it has two

OS X and dual-boots. And have 2nd internal HDD, in this server model, for other uses.

You have options because there still a link to get Sierra 10.12 from an App Store page.

• How to download macOS Sierra - Apple Support

{Reading though I've noted some Late 2012 Mac mini i5 and i7 users have issue with macOS

10.13.x High Sierra due to some graphics problem and some other performance complaints.

The graphics is built-in, and noticed El Capitan gives the GPU a higher output resolution, with

the same chip-set. I've used the same display; w/ max upgraded standard RAM before OS X.}

So you could test the waters 'one foot at a time' least there be swamping due to an under-tow.

User uploaded file

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2018 5:03 PM in response to rcjg58

IF your 'Mac Mini Late 2012' computer - most shipped with Mavericks 10.9.x and won't run

newer version third-party software, then an upgrade to El Capitan 10.11.6 should do nicely.

Or further upgrade ~ if you have read about the issues; make suitable precautionary backups

and then hope you get lucky with High Sierra. At least you may be able to revert w/ backups.

Last Sept 2017 finally I chose to upgrade from Mavericks 10.9.5 to El Capitan 10.11.6 and

made a partition on original 1-TB HDD for second OS X install. It works OK. So it has two

OS X and dual-boots. And have 2nd internal HDD, in this server model, for other uses.

You have options because there still a link to get Sierra 10.12 from an App Store page.

• How to download macOS Sierra - Apple Support

{Reading though I've noted some Late 2012 Mac mini i5 and i7 users have issue with macOS

10.13.x High Sierra due to some graphics problem and some other performance complaints.

The graphics is built-in, and noticed El Capitan gives the GPU a higher output resolution, with

the same chip-set. I've used the same display; w/ max upgraded standard RAM before OS X.}

So you could test the waters 'one foot at a time' least there be swamping due to an under-tow.

User uploaded file

Mar 15, 2018 4:48 PM in response to den.thed

That point applies to 10.7, but not 10.8 or newer. rcjg58 won’t be able to get El Capitan unless they already did or have access to an older Mac.

If someone’s using a configuration where it applies, they’ll be told so explicitly instead of getting an unrelated error message during the process.

(158716)

Update OS 10.9.5 to High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.