Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change,NFS,read-only,to,write,permission,under,High,Sierra

I recently upgraded to MAC High Sierra from Yosemite. I discovered that my external storage drive, which is always plugged in to my IMAC, I can no longer "write" data to it. The file has changed to NTFS "read only". How can I reverse this file's permission back to read/write?

iMac, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Mar 15, 2018 1:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2018 2:41 PM

NTFS is a Windows file system. You likely were using a third party app like Paragon or Tuxera to allow you to write to the NTFS formatted drive. You also likely did not update this app to allow it to continue working with High Sierra. Update the app.

Unless you are using this drive with Windows there is no reason to leave it formatted NTFS. After you save off all your data from the drive you can format it for your Mac thereby no longer needed a third party app to allow writing to the drive.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2018 2:41 PM in response to Leon16107

NTFS is a Windows file system. You likely were using a third party app like Paragon or Tuxera to allow you to write to the NTFS formatted drive. You also likely did not update this app to allow it to continue working with High Sierra. Update the app.

Unless you are using this drive with Windows there is no reason to leave it formatted NTFS. After you save off all your data from the drive you can format it for your Mac thereby no longer needed a third party app to allow writing to the drive.

Mar 15, 2018 2:42 PM in response to Leon16107

NTFS is a Windows filesystem. Macs can read these drives but cannot write to them without third-party software. Filesystems do not spontaneously change. If your external storage device is a Network storage device, then it may be operated by a Windows system so that the drive is formatted for NTFS. You will need to change the computer's setup to work properly with your network storage device.

Change,NFS,read-only,to,write,permission,under,High,Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.