Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charging options in Germany

Do I need a converter to charge my (US) iPhone 8+ and iPad Pro in Germany?

Posted on Mar 15, 2018 2:15 PM

5 replies

Mar 15, 2018 2:26 PM in response to ScotK

If you're using any Apple-branded power adapter, the only thing you need is a passive adapter. That could be one of those blade converters or a "duckhead" from the iPad power adapter.

Apple power adapters accept all AC inputs from 100-240V at 50-60 Hz. The only thing you need to worry about is the electrical connection.

Mar 15, 2018 3:33 PM in response to ScotK

ScotK wrote:

Some of the adapters have USB ports. Are these then safe to use, or should I always use the Apple "brick" that came with the phone?

What do you mean by that? You mean some 3rd party adapter?

It's up to you whether or not you trust a non-Apple power adapter. I've charged my iPhones using adapters from Samsung as well as 3rd party ones including lighter plug adapters. I have no problem as long as it's high quality. Apple doesn't have a monopoly on high quality power adapters, especially since they don't really design the electronics. I mostly use a 12W iPad adapter or directly connected to a USB port on my MacBook Pro. Those will provide more current (up to 2100 mA) than the 5W cube (up to 1000 mA) that comes with iPhones.

An iPhone regulates the incoming current. If the power adapter can supply more current than the iPhone needs, it will only take what it needs. If it can accept more than the power adapter can supply, it will just take what it can get. With USB-A ports it's supposed to be limited to 2100 mA. If you're using the little "cube" power adapter it's going to charge slower. A smart USB-C power supply using Apple's USB-C/Lightning cable is supposed to be more (Apple calls this "Fast Charge", but I haven't seen any numbers other than tests showing that it's a little bit faster than a 12W iPad power adapter.

Each adapter should say what input it can take. These days there aren't many that don't say 100-240V AC at 50-60Hz.

Charging options in Germany

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.