Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

disk utility entries

maybe someone can clarify this?...

I have 2 internal hard drives, same brand and size, I'm on 10.13.3 and Disk Utility shows this:

User uploaded file

I understand that the first entry is the drive itself, and the second is the partition, but why do I see it? Or, if I must see it... why doesn't the "Media Drive" have a similar entry?

For the record, I would like to switch to APFS, but the conversion fails with error -69860.

Also for the record, when I upgraded to 10.13 I did it with the option to keep the old file system.

Logic Pro X, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Mar 15, 2018 2:57 PM

Similar questions

19 replies

Mar 16, 2018 8:28 AM in response to AlDan

The macOS installer will recognize storage devices eligible for APFS conversion and automatically convert them with no user intervention required. If it did not recognize your device as eligible, then there is a reason. Most likely, it does not recognize that device as eligible, or cannot update its firmware, or both.

Apple has absolutely no interest in testing macOS installers on any hardware they do not incorporate in the products they sell. That has caused a lot of misery for those making unapproved hardware modifications, so if you choose to do that you're on your own.

Mar 16, 2018 8:36 AM in response to AlDan

hi John, yes, that's exactly why I am posting in this user forum and not calling Apple on the phone. If you want to know, this is a 17" macbook pro that they stop manufacturing back in 2011, I need every inch of the screen, and with the SSD's, it runs, I think, as fast as a new mac. Bottom line, it's not a big deal, and probably not worth the time of everybody involved here (mine included)

Mar 16, 2018 8:39 AM in response to majortom1967

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *960.2 GB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS Media Drive 959.3 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):

0: GUID_partition_scheme *960.2 GB disk1

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1

2: Apple_CoreStorage Macintosh HD 959.3 GB disk1s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk1s3

/dev/disk2 (internal, virtual):

0: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD +959.0 GB disk2

Logical Volume on disk1s2

CC47573B-0CBA-46A5-895A-3E451C139E08

Unencrypted

Mar 16, 2018 9:55 AM in response to majortom1967

neither. When I first installed 10.13, when it came out, it converted the ssds to apfs, then I realized that my other computers in the network can't see that, running older os', so I erased, reformatted and reinstalled 10.13 from the command line with the option not to convert. Now i'm ready for 10.13 and apfs... but apparently this one isn't :-)

Mar 16, 2018 1:57 PM in response to AlDan

Hi, may I ask you how exactly you tried to convert to APFS when you got the error? Please post the command you used.

To see Core Storage on your system disk is quite normal, it happens on SSDs automaticcaly way before, I think during upgrade to macOS 10.12.x Sierra. But... it might be problem which cause an error in conversion to APFS.

Mar 16, 2018 2:09 PM in response to AlDan

AlDan, If you can afford starting from the scratch then yes, but first you would have to get a rid of Core Storage on your disk1.

Doing that is simple, unmount your core storage.

diskutil unmountDisk disk2

Unmount your physical SSD on disk1.

diskutil unmountDisk disk1

Now you should be able to erase your your disk1 SSD completely straight into APFS.

diskutil eraseDisk APFS "Macintosh HD" disk1

Now you should have new clean "Macintosh HD" on APFS already, on your second SSD drive ready for installation.

That's what I would do, give it a try, good luck, bye.

Manoli

disk utility entries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.