Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphoto 'preparing library' but quits midway.

I can't access any of my pictures. Iphoto has been "preparing library" but it always goes to 49% and then quits unexpectedly. I see the photo library file thats about 60gb on finder. Anything I can do to fix this quick?

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Mar 15, 2018 5:06 PM

2 replies

Mar 15, 2018 10:35 PM in response to fz47jk

What has recently changed? What version of iPhoto are you using (High Sierra will only work with iPhoto 9.6.1)

And it would be a good idea to move to Photos as iPhoto was discontinued over three years ago and some day even 9.6.1 will quit working -- this may help with the migration from iPhoto to Photos - Notes on Migrating an iPhoto Library from iPhoto to Photos for Mac

LN

Mar 16, 2018 1:00 AM in response to fz47jk

I can't access any of my pictures. Iphoto has been "preparing library" but it always goes to 49% and then quits unexpectedly. I

Where is the iPhoto Library stored?

Is it in your Pictures folder or on an external drive? If the library is on an external drive, is this drive correctly formatted? The format should be MacOS Extended (Journaled) and the drive directly connected, not a network share, like described here for Aperture (Format external drives to Mac OS Extended before using with Aperture - Apple Support)

If the library is in a supported location, try to repair the iPhoto Library with iPhoto as described here: Re: iPhoto has crashed on a number of occasions, but on 2 occasions also seems to delete several events, including the one I'm editing. When I go to reimport the last event, it shows them as already there. But I can't find them.

Try all four repair/rebild options in turn, starting with the permissions repair:

Iphoto 'preparing library' but quits midway.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.