Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do app ID/passwords get restored when restoring to new device

When I back up an old device and restore to a new device do the passwords transfer or do the ID and password need to be entered in for each app?

Posted on Mar 15, 2018 4:58 PM

10 replies

Mar 16, 2018 12:31 PM in response to tf1877

The first time iTunes encrypts a backup, it should have asked you for a password to do the encryption. I don't know what you mean by your iTunes password. Are you talking about your iTunes Store password (which is usually your Apple ID password)? If so, that is/should be completely different. I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but if I take you at your word, something sounds fishy. As gail from maine said, iCloud backups are all encrypted without having to use a password.

Mar 16, 2018 1:04 PM in response to tf1877

tf1877 wrote:

I did the encrypted back up last night, took awhile so I didn't restore it to my new device yet but at no point did ITunes ask me to create a password for the encryption..I assumed it was stored on my computer using my ITunes password.

Then it is likely you have done encrypted backups in the past. You can confirm this by going to iTunes>Preferences>Devices>Backups>and see if you see a padlock next to your other backups. If you do, then you set up the encryption awhile ago, and hopefully, you will be able to remember the passcode 🙂

Cheers,

GB

Do app ID/passwords get restored when restoring to new device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.