Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software on MacBook

I am new to the Apple products. A lot of my work is done on the computer and I had heard that using a MacBook would be great for about 90% of my work. Since I have always used a Windows computer, I have no clue as to what I am actually able to use on Mac.

Is software like WireShark or VMs (virtual machines) available for use on a MacBook?

MacBook, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Mar 15, 2018 6:31 PM

3 replies

Mar 16, 2018 10:43 PM in response to ElźbietaB

If you’re talking about running Windows in a VM, I’m sure there’s VM software out there for Mac that could do that. However, Macs also come with a tool called Boot Camp Assistant, which will partition your Mac and install Windows directly to a newly dedicated section of your hard drive.

The main disadvantage of using Boot Camp to install Windows is that you have to restart your Mac in order to switch between operating systems. They cannot run simultaneously.

However, there are several advantages of using Boot Camp to install Windows and running Windows natively, listed below:

-Installation is easy; all you need is a Windows ISO file and maybe a flash drive.

-You choose how much space to dedicate to Windows.

-Boot Camp will install custom drivers from Apple for your Mac in order to create the best Windows experience possible.

-Windows will run at unparalleled speeds and can handle more intensive tasks, since it is being run directly by the hardware itself and not by a virtual machine.

-You can use Boot Camp Assistant to delete Windows at any time and reclaim that space for your Mac.

Software on MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.