Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is the Automatic face recognition in photos app so much weaker than Google's photos?

I love to teach the machine about all the Faces in my photos but it seems that your algorithms don't learn from my teaching.

I would expect that in 2018, the algorithms for face recognition would learn the more I teach about a specific face but the number of mistakes and inability to distinguish between people is shocking.

When working with Google Photos, the face recognition (and classifying technology) are lightyears away. Google learns and hardly makes mistakes. Apples mistakes are immense.

Oren

Posted on Mar 15, 2018 6:45 PM

7 replies

Mar 15, 2018 10:53 PM in response to LarryHN

1 Did Apple ever bother to check if users care about “Harvesting their data”? I am totally fine with my data being collected in order to get better, personalized services. Google’s services are by far superior as they can adapt to me and not showing me irrelevant ads or content. I enjoy and appreciate Google’s relevancy.

2 but even more importantl, it is not as if Apple decided not to host my photos as they “don’t want my personal data on their servers”. They clearly host all my photos on iCloud, so they have access to it anyways. I mean, if Apple pretends to be such a purist, why not keep all my photos locally on the device, allowing me only to download them to my computer but never to iCloud? They have already my data, running the algos on it doesn’t change anything...

3 Why is running the face grouping algorithms in the cloud more invasive? What extra data would apple get by doing it server side?

Mar 15, 2018 11:37 PM in response to oren314

You Simply do not get it - Google sells your private information to fund their "free" stuff, Apple does not

Since your private information is not important to you then you should continue to use Google and not use Apple where you have to pay for the services you use in money rather than in by letting Google sell your private information to fund your "free" services

Not sure why you are even here since you prefer Google - use them and leave the people who prefer their privacy alone here

LN

Why is the Automatic face recognition in photos app so much weaker than Google's photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.