Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I block a specific domain from my iPad?

I am getting spam pop ups from .top domain. I want to block everything from that domain. Can I do that on my iPad?

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Mar 15, 2018 8:20 PM

19 replies

Mar 16, 2018 1:15 PM in response to arabrab620

Hello arabrab620,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. I understand you are encountering pop-up ads on your iPad. I would be happy to help point you towards some resources that could help.

Learn how to block annoying pop-up ads on your iPad with the steps here:

How to block pop-ups in Safari - Apple Support

The following support article shows how to use built-in Restrictions to add specific websites to a blocked list:

How to use parental controls on your child's iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Specifically, use these steps:

Prevent access to websites

iOS can automatically filter website content to limit access to adult content in the Safari web browser and apps on your child’s device. You can also add specific websites to an approved or blocked list, or you can limit access to only approved websites. Go to Settings > General > Restrictions > Websites and select one of these options:

• All Websites
  • Limit Adult Content
  • Specific Websites Only

Take care!

Mar 23, 2018 6:14 PM in response to arabrab620

Having exactly the same problem, also with the .top domain. Had it before with .club, .date and .win domains. Bloody annoying. Webpage spoofs a trusted source (currently amazon), but URL indicates otherwise. There are (fee) apps that can block entire domains, but the ijits will simply change the domain name, as I have discovered. Hope you get an answer, I am somewhat savvy but cannot figure out a permanent solution. Ad block setting on Safari does NOT work for these!

Mar 23, 2018 6:14 PM in response to Essayeph

These are browser hijacks using javascript, they look like pop-up adds but they aren't really. The people doing them go in through the ad service on a site and then use javascript to get to you.

Supposedly the paid version of 1Blocker (I think that is the name) will stop them. After you encounter one you can close Safari (or whatever browser you use), go to Settings > Safari and erase the cache and browser history, then restart your iPhone. If you go back to the same site that has been hacked it will happen all over again.

Mar 23, 2018 4:04 PM in response to Essayeph

I picked it up from Sports Illustrated site the first time I got one. I notified them and they acknowledged it and said they had cleared it. There is another thread here about people getting it from weatherchannel.com and other sites.

I think you are going to have to use 3rd party software to block domains but as was already said you will be blocking a LOT of them as they change them frequently.

Mar 23, 2018 4:42 PM in response to arabrab620

I don’t know if this will work, but you can try enabling restrictions in general settings. Under the “websites” setting, turn on “limit adult content” and then put the web site in the “never allow”.

It will let me enter things with wildcards so I was able to put in “*.*.top” but I just don’t know if that will actually do anything.

Mar 23, 2018 6:42 PM in response to arabrab620

Yep. And blocking “*.*.top” (*.* is a placeholder for any characters preceding the .top domain) didn’t work either. I’ve had three more of these pop up just since I last posted on this thread earlier tonight. Aaarrrggghhh. Guess the 3rd party app must be tried. (Paid version of 1blocker recommend by responder above.) I also tried writing to the website that these pop up on most frequently for me just in case they can do something from their end.

Good luck to you!

Apple are you listening?

How do I block a specific domain from my iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.