Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: iPhone to iMac videos not recognized

I am baffled. I have the cloud send my photos and videos from my phone to my computer in Photos, and I had been doing it this way for a few years. Then a year or so ago, I updated my mac to the newest OS at the time (can't recall the name of it). I noticed that my uploads were not complete. It would skip several photos and videos. When I would plug in my phone to the computer, it would do the same. I finally got a new computer this past month. It has the latest OS Sierra, and while all my photos are recognized and uploaded fine, NONE of the videos upload. I have searched for answers to this problem and even tried a few, but nothing is working. It is terribly time consuming to try and message videos to myself and then transfer them to Photos by drag/drop. Does anyone know if this is a regular issue or is it just me? Any advice or ideas? I am very frustrated. And no. It is NOT user error.

iPhone 6, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on

Page content loaded

Mar 16, 2018 3:43 AM in response to malval7 In response to malval7

I noticed that my uploads were not complete. It would skip several photos and videos. When I would plug in my phone to the computer, it would do the same.

There may be several reasons -

• The format of the media on your iPhone: if your iPhone can use HEIF/HEVC, you need to change the settings and upgrade to High Sierra as Larry suggested, see: Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support
  • iCloud Photo Library: If the upgrade to iOS 11 enable iCloud Photo Library on your iPhone, many media files will no longer be stored locally on the iPhone, but only in iCloud and you simply cannot download them using USB connection, unless you ensure that they will download from iCloud to your iPhone. Check, if iCloud Photo Library has become enabled on the iPhone without you noticing it.
  • The file system format of the drive with your Photos Library: If you are already running High Sierra, the videos may be giving "video component not found" error messages, if your Photos Library is on a drive with a case-sensitive format.

Mar 16, 2018 3:43 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 16, 2018 7:23 AM in response to malval7 In response to malval7

There are quite a few different reasons for videos failing to import, as I posted out.

The upgrade to macOS 10.13 .3 will allow your Mac to play HEVC video files, if your iPhone should now be using the HEVC

format, but that is unlikely, if you are still using an iPhone 6, as shown in your signature.

The upgrade to High Sierra will not help, if your iPhone is using iCloud Photo Library, and the videos you want to import are stored in iCloud and not on your iPhone. Then you have to stop using iCloud Photo Library on the iPhone or import your videos to your Mac from iCloud.

And upgrading will also not help, if your Photos library is on external drive with a wrong file system format.

Mar 16, 2018 7:23 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 16, 2018 9:26 AM in response to malval7 In response to malval7

Most likely it will as I said because most likely the cause is using IOS 11 with HEIC/HVIC photos and videos on the Phone and not having HS on the Mac - neither of the two OSs you have tried have support for the new format so of course neither works with them - when you upgrade as I suggested you add support for the new formats and things should work

Sorry that you are "skeptical" but I thought you came here to learn something you did not know so you could make things work again - and my suggestion is the most likely solution

Good luck Thomas

LH

Mar 16, 2018 9:26 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 16, 2018 9:35 AM in response to LarryHN In response to LarryHN

I would like to see a confirmation by malval7 about the iPhone model. The signature says "iPhone 6", but the iPhone 6 does not take videos in the HEVC format. The iPhone 6 can display them under certain conditions, but does not take media in the new format. The upgrade to High Sierra would make things easier, if the iPhone model is 7 or newer.

Mar 16, 2018 9:35 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 16, 2018 9:41 AM in response to léonie In response to léonie

The upgrade to High Sierra would make things easier, if the iPhone model is 7 or newer.

which is IMHO the most likely case as I said

If it is some much less likely situation then we will need more information which is hard to get because of their skepticism without information one has to guess

LN

Mar 16, 2018 9:41 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 16, 2018 8:14 PM in response to léonie In response to léonie

Yes I still have an iPhone 6. The uploads worked well for the first part of using this phone. I used the cloud then as well. Then I seem to recall an iPhone OS upgrade, and it ruined my life. lol That's when I started having issues with some photos and videos not showing up in Photos. I thought it was my old OS on my computer. So I upgraded. It solved the photo issue, but the videos are still not being recognized. They're now piling up on my phone, and I've tried so many things. I keep wondering if I am the only one. . . is it a bug? Is there something wrong with my phone? Not a clue. I have done a hard reset. I have purchased a new computer. Makes NO SENSE!

Mar 16, 2018 8:14 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 16, 2018 8:16 PM in response to LarryHN In response to LarryHN

Only skeptical of the OS helping because this would be the 3rd OS I've tried. The other upgrades didn't change anything except they allowed my photos to be recognized. That's why I'm skeptical since I have tried it before. I am looking for something to help. Something I haven't tried before.

Mar 16, 2018 8:16 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 16, 2018 8:21 PM in response to léonie In response to léonie

Thanks for reminding me about uploading from iCloud. I have tried that, and I was able to eventually retrieve my videos, but I would prefer to have my videos automatically uploaded like my photos are. It is pretty time consuming to do it the manual way. Any thoughts on what might be going on? Have you heard of this before?

Mar 16, 2018 8:21 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 23, 2018 4:57 AM in response to LarryHN In response to LarryHN

I updated to high sierra and just like we all thought, it didn't work. My videos still don't show up when I connected my phone to my computer, so I still have to go to iCloud.com to retrieve and download them. Never did I say I wouldn't take your advice, but I was skeptical for a good reason. And I was correct. And take this advice. . . treat people with respect, even those you don't know. There was no reason for you to act the way you did in this thread. Your sarcasm was rude and not at all helpful.

Mar 23, 2018 4:57 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: malval7

Question: iPhone to iMac videos not recognized