Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: iTunes storing some songs incorrectly (or at least differently) under iTunes Media

I recently moved from an older computer running the latest iTunes under Windows 7 to one running the latest iTunes under Windows 10. Both machines have the "allow iTunes to manage library" turned on. On the Windows 7 machine, all songs were stored in paths like \Users\%user%\Music\iTunes Media\Music\%artist%\%album% (this is good). However, on the Windows 10 machine, iTunes suddenly decided to start storing some songs (but not all) in paths like \Users\%user%\Music\iTunes Media\%artist%\%album% (note the missing Music directory). Is anyone else encountering this? Does anyone know how to get it to go back to putting all songs under iTunes Media\Music?

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

Use File > Library > Organize Library... > Rearrange Files. See Make a split library portable for some background.

tt2

Posted on

Page content loaded

Mar 16, 2018 8:48 AM in response to turingtest2 In response to turingtest2

Thanks. That fixed it. I'm still baffled why it was organized like that on my old computer but iTunes suddenly decided to do it incorrectly on my new computer. Do you have any ideas on why that happened? Definitely not critical but I like knowing why things happen.

Mar 16, 2018 8:48 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 16, 2018 9:18 AM in response to wilcoxon In response to wilcoxon

Whether or not the library uses the new layout or the old one is determined by a hidden file called .iTunes Preferences.plist inside the media folder. Perhaps the way you migrated your library didn't include this file and iTunes defaulted to the old layout rather than the new one.

tt2

Mar 16, 2018 9:18 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: wilcoxon

Question: iTunes storing some songs incorrectly (or at least differently) under iTunes Media