Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can my IPAD PRO 12.9 WIFI CL receive sms from anyone?

I know there is a lot of information on the Internet but today I bought a new IPAD PRO 12.9 WIFI CL with a mobile sim card and mobile phone number but not everyone can send an SMS? I thought the whole idea of cellular was not only the fact it could work on the phone network like my old iPad that is ?4-5 years old but also receive text messages NOT using iMessage. This is actually for someone with a disability that can not use a phone.

iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 11.2.6, Vodafone plan on board

Posted on Mar 16, 2018 4:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2018 1:02 PM

Only if it is paired to an iPhone using iOS continuity feature - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204681

SMS/MMS require a connection to a cell service provider’s telephone voice network, and no iPad is capable of connecting to a cellular voice channel. iPads are internet data only devices. They can use wifi, or if equipped with cellular, a cellular data connection. Thus by itself, any iPad is restricted to internet based messaging only (iMessage, Skype, Google Hangouts, etc).

You also are limited to VOIP services only. An iPad cannot make an actual cellular telephone call. No iPad has ever been able to do that. The telephone number associated with a cellular iPad is used solely by the service provider for internal billing purposes.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2018 1:02 PM in response to mikefrompreston

Only if it is paired to an iPhone using iOS continuity feature - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204681

SMS/MMS require a connection to a cell service provider’s telephone voice network, and no iPad is capable of connecting to a cellular voice channel. iPads are internet data only devices. They can use wifi, or if equipped with cellular, a cellular data connection. Thus by itself, any iPad is restricted to internet based messaging only (iMessage, Skype, Google Hangouts, etc).

You also are limited to VOIP services only. An iPad cannot make an actual cellular telephone call. No iPad has ever been able to do that. The telephone number associated with a cellular iPad is used solely by the service provider for internal billing purposes.

can my IPAD PRO 12.9 WIFI CL receive sms from anyone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.