Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do e-mails get stored in the computer when erased?

I would like to know if e-mails are stored in the computer even if it has been deleted in the e-mail box......If so , where do I find them, and how do I delete them from the hard drive?

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.5)

Posted on Mar 16, 2018 11:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2018 6:12 AM

if you delete them from your HD using Apple Mail they should be gone from your computer, but if you use a Time Machine backup it would still be on the backup. It is advised you don't start deleting from the backup in this case, it can cause serious problems.

If in doubt and you plan to sell or donate the comptuer, reformat the drive and install a clean copy of the OS which will delete anything and everything permanently from the drive, and follow the directions here.

What to do before you sell or give away your Mac - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2018 6:12 AM in response to karlssongunvor

if you delete them from your HD using Apple Mail they should be gone from your computer, but if you use a Time Machine backup it would still be on the backup. It is advised you don't start deleting from the backup in this case, it can cause serious problems.

If in doubt and you plan to sell or donate the comptuer, reformat the drive and install a clean copy of the OS which will delete anything and everything permanently from the drive, and follow the directions here.

What to do before you sell or give away your Mac - Apple Support

Mar 16, 2018 11:47 AM in response to karlssongunvor

What system version are you using? Your profile says you are using a relatively modern OS version on a modern computer but you posted in a forum for 15 year old computers. How drive security is handled differs greatly.

Mail does store a cache on your computer. I don't know if this includes a copy of deleted messages. I suspect it does because I can go to my Mail application and click on Trash and it immediately shows what I have trashed recently whereas Mail typically takes a minute or two to finish updating from the server.

Some of the answer to this will depend upon the level of security you are wanting and in what scenario this is being done.

Do e-mails get stored in the computer when erased?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.