Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Target mode between Macbook pro 2017 and Mac Pro 1.1

Hi! I need to connect via target mode my brand new Macbook pro with an old Mac Pro 1.1. I bought an usb c to thunderbolt adapter and a thunderbolt to fire wire and connected a firewire 800 to firewire 400 from one machine to the other but it’s not working

Posted on Mar 16, 2018 7:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2018 7:23 AM

A likely reason is that the new file format used on your MacBook Pro with High Sierra is unreadable to older Macs running previous macOS versions. Read about Target Disk Mode here: How to use target disk mode to move files between two Mac computers - Apple Support.

16 replies

Mar 16, 2018 11:20 AM in response to Juaco Franco

When you say "usb-c to thunderbolt adapter", do you mean "thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter"?

That is the only one which ought to work.

New MBP <--TB3-TB2 adapter--><--TB2-Firewire adapter--><--FW800-FW400 cable--> Old MP

ought to work, even though it is a kludge.

Two other alternatives, from least expensive to most expensive:

1) Take the bare drive(s) off the Mac Pro (which is easy enough to do) and insert them into a USB-C or USB3 Hard Drive Dock device.

2) Use a Thunderbolt3 Dock from OWC, which among many other ports has a FW800 port, and connect the FW800-FW400 cable to that to use the MP in target disk mode.

Target mode between Macbook pro 2017 and Mac Pro 1.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.