Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Healthy" Macbook Air shutting down after resetting SMC

Hey guys. I have an early 2015 Macbook Air which the battery is currently at cycle 417. Technically, it should be a healthy battery but a few months ago, the battery started shutting down when getting to around 40% and no warnings. I tried resetting the SMC but nothing changed. Also can't calibrate the battery because it never drains the battery completely. A couple of days ago, it's started to get worse and now it shuts down even before and the % goes down almost as quick as the seconds of a clock. The battery says Service Battery. Is there a chance to fix it or only taking to Apple?

Hope you can help. Thank you!

MacBook Air, macOS Sierra (10.12.5)

Posted on Mar 16, 2018 7:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2018 9:04 AM

I'm pretty sure the battery is bad. Try resetting the SMC again and the NVRAM too. Then try to run a diagnostic test.

After turning the machine on, hold in D. That will run a hardware test of the machine, and that will most likely also say the battery is going bad.

If you go to Apple they can give you a quote for a new battery. I recommend backing up your data as they may wipe it. If you're tech-savy you can also replace the battery yourself, but you'll have to get the battery from somewhere else as Apple doesn't sell them.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2018 9:04 AM in response to mr.foreigner

I'm pretty sure the battery is bad. Try resetting the SMC again and the NVRAM too. Then try to run a diagnostic test.

After turning the machine on, hold in D. That will run a hardware test of the machine, and that will most likely also say the battery is going bad.

If you go to Apple they can give you a quote for a new battery. I recommend backing up your data as they may wipe it. If you're tech-savy you can also replace the battery yourself, but you'll have to get the battery from somewhere else as Apple doesn't sell them.

"Healthy" Macbook Air shutting down after resetting SMC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.