Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Chrome and Safari trying to open new page

Whenever I click on a new link - both Chrome and Safari now tries to open a page and then quickly closes it.

Even if I refresh the page, a new page is quickly open (now specific webpage) and then it is quickly closed...

The whole page will be refreshed...

It behaves the same way in incognito mode, too..

It's driving me crazy. - Have I got a malware?

Please help!

iMac, iOS 11.2.6, Google Chrome and Safari

Posted on Mar 16, 2018 10:38 AM

3 replies

Mar 16, 2018 10:46 AM in response to Changstein

"both Chrome and Safari now tries to open a page and then quickly closes it."

Probably not malware.

A Safe Mode boot deletes system caches that might help.

To start up in safe mode:

1. Start or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key. The white Apple logo appears on your display. If you don't see the Apple logo, learn what to do.
  2. Release the Shift key when you see the login window. If your startup disk is encrypted with FileVault, you might be asked to log in twice: once to unlock the startup disk, and again to log in to the Finder.

To leave safe mode, restart your Mac without pressing any keys during startup.

Then try Safari and Chrome.

If the problem persists, check the disk.

Startup your Mac while holding down the Command + R keys.

From there you should be able to access the built in utilities to verify and repair the disk if necessary using macOS Recovery.

Mar 16, 2018 11:43 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Hi Carolyn:

Thanks for the prompt reply;

I booted in Safe Mode and manually deleted caches ( both Safar and Chrome as well as the system browser in "Cahces" folder) - to no avail.

The browsers still want to open another page without content, the tab of the new page shows up, then quickly closes everytime I click on a link. Sometimes my current page will refresh on its own or crash as well..

This is a 2 months old iMac with SSD - and I am not sure what else to do? The Command+R keys led me to restate the entire mac - meaning I will lose everything on the new mac.

Any other suggestions as to what might be wrong with my iMac? my 7 year-old MacBook Pro doesn't behave this way at all...

cheers

Chrome and Safari trying to open new page

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.