Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomeKit invitation failure / spinning wheel on specific Apple ID's

I am having the same issue as reported in HomeKit invitation failure and am reopening the thread as Apple seems to have closed it down / no updates are possible in the thread.

I've got homekit working on my devices. I invited my wife - the notification pops up, but when we go into the home app, and homes, what's there is "My Home (Guest)" with a spinning wheel.

On her iPad, it has the correct home name, on her iPhone is has the default name - both as Guest and both with the spinning wheel.

I have tried:

1) Canceling the invitation

2) delete the spinning home

3) Reset her icloud keychain

4) hard device reset

5) restore the device from backup (Apple's typical default troubleshooting step).

I have had a case open with Apple for almost a year now and this is no closer to resolution than the day I opened it.

To summarize...

- If I / "User 1" send a HomeKit invitation to "User 2" (in this case, one of my kids), the invitation is received, accepted and acknowledge - everything works!

- If I / "User 1"send a HomeKit invitation to "User 3" (in this case, my wife), the invitation is received, accepted but is never acknowledged from a HomeKit perspective on the recipients device.... SPINNING WHEEL FOREVER!!!

The image on the left shows the spinning wheel.

User uploaded file

Meaning, I am simply left with the spinning wheel on the recipients device. However, on my / the senders device, it indicates that the invitation is received and accepted.

I have gone through all the troubleshooting with Apple, provided logs and still nothing further. In addition to testing with each new iOS update, still am no closer to resolution. Had this issue since iOS 10.x and currently running 11.2.6 as still the same issue. I do not believe this is iOS related (at least directly). Although an argument could be made it is the integration with iOS and Apple ID's based on my testing (see below).

One additional piece of information I would like to add... If the invitation is sent from "User 2" to me / "User 1", everything works. Now, if "User 2" also sends an invite to "User 3", the invite is send and accepted... HOWEVER, instead of seeing both "User 1" and "User 3" the list of "People", only a single user (typically the user that accepted the invitation last) is listed.

This implies to me there is something within the Apple ID that is causing the issue. It seems that Apple believes that "User 1" and "User 3" (based on my examples) are the same? Which is why you only see one user in the list of "People" that can manage HomeKit devices after invitations are sent / received / accepted.

However, I have gotten no where fast with Apple support. The only response I get is that "Engineering is working on it". Which is frustrating since my case has been open for almost a year, I can replicate the issue on demand and I have provide them with the information above.

Any thoughts / insights would be appreciated.

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 11.2.6, HomeKit / Apple ID issue

Posted on Mar 16, 2018 9:42 AM

54 replies

Nov 1, 2018 10:02 PM in response to mandr4k3

I have not been able to find a solution. Here are all of the things I tried incase it is helpful to anyone.

• All tests with iOS 12.1 and macOS Mojave 10.14
  • Signed out of iCloud and back in
  • Deleted Home app and toggled its iCloud on/off setting
  • Created entirely new iCloud accounts
  • Sent invitations in both directions

The closest I got to success was the following steps:

1. Created new non-Gmail-email iCloud account.*
  2. From that new account, invited existing iCloud account (using existing account's Gmail primary email address).
  3. Success! Invite was accepted.
  4. When I continued, from new account, inviting second existing iCloud account using its Gmail primary address, the person accepted in step 2 disappeared and instead the person invited in this step showed up. This result was not useful to me.

* I know the mention of Gmail is strange. I found that when I created a new Apple ID with a Gmail address these steps didn't work. It only worked using an email address with a different domain (in my case my work email address).

Mar 18, 2018 2:14 PM in response to Livewire_eh

Same issue here right now. I added a new Lutron hub to HomeKit, it was not showing up on my wife’s home app. My changes to rooms/device names never seem to reflect in her account, but it’s all been additional bulbs to my existing hue hub and those show up at least, so I could just adjust the room/name on her phone to match mine... But, since the Lutron hub and devices were not showing up at all I decided to delete her from the home, and start over in hopes that the new hub and future devices would work. But now I’m stuck in the same situation where the invite just spins on her phone. So very frustrating... stop gap I’ve installed hue app on her phone, so at the very least she can control her bedside lamp.

Apr 20, 2018 7:55 AM in response to Livewire_eh

Hello,

After months worth of struggling with this exact same issue, having provided a lot of diagnostic data to Apple on different occasions from both the device/ID sending the invitation, and from the device/ID getting the stuck invitation (mine), here is what finally worked for me. I have no doubt Apple will figure out a solution eventually, sadly iOS11.3 didn't do it for me though. Do keep in mind, this may not work for you. I tried a lot of other things, including using an old iOS 9.x device in an attempt to delete the stuck invite, renaming the Home sending the invite, but nothing else worked. Finally, you may not need all of these steps for the fix to work, but I am not going to re-create the issue to prove that.

Note: devices listed below are those associated with the AppleID that was stuck receiving the Home invitation.

- AppleTV 3rd Gen

- iPhone SE

- iPad 10.5''

Back sure you have a good backup of the data on your devices before proceeding, just in case.

1- Signed-off iCloud from AppleTV 3rd Gen.

2- On my iPhone SE with iOS 11.3:

- Removed HomePod from Home App.

- Turned OFF Homekit on iCloud settings.

- Deleted Home App.

3- On my iPad with iOS 11.3:

- Turned OFF Homekit on iCloud settings.

- Deleted Home App.

4- Signed-off from iCloud on my Mac computer.

5- Signed-off from iCloud on my iPhone and iPad above (chose to remove all iCloud data on phone as oppose to leave it).

6- Unchecked me.com and icloud.com aliases to my .mac email as reachable addresses on iMessage and FaceTime settings on all the above devices.

7- Signed-on to iCloud on the iPhone, installed Home App.

- Manually enabled Keychain which was OFF by default.

- At this point I opened the Home App and it still showed the stuck invitation under Home Settings.

- I then disabled Homekit on iCloud settings again, deleted Home App from phone.

8- Signed-off from iCloud on my iPhone again.

9- Signed-on to iCloud on iPhone using a different AppleID, manually enabled Keychain which was OFF by default, reinstalled Home App.

- Confirmed that none of the old info from my main AppleID showed up on the Home app, all looked good (i.e. an empty Default home was created).

- Removed Home App.

10- Signed-off alternative iCloud ID from iPhone. Waited a few minutes.

11- Signed-on to iCloud on iPhone using main/original AppleID. Manually enabled Keychain which was OFF by default.

12- Installed Home App, opened it, and voila, to my surprise the stuck/pending invitation was gone!!!

- All appeared good, no pending invitations.

13- Signed-on to iCloud on Mac, and iPad, enabled Keychain.

14- Had my aunt send me a fresh Homekit invite from her home, and I was able to accept it this time. It took 30sec for the invite to stop spinning after clicking accept, which I could not do prior to this, showing up listed twice within that period at time, until it finally stopped spinning and worked. I am now able to access her homekit devices after months of agony.

15- Installed Home App on iPad, installed Home App on iPad

- iPad got stuck for ~10min on Loading Accessories and Scenes once the Home App was first opened. To the background of that large notification screen I could see my old home configuration with the red circled "1” notification on the arrow indicating that there was a stuck invitation, I suspect that was a cached screenshot from the past.

- Force-quitted Home App. Relaunched, but still got stuck on Loading Accessories and Scenes.

- Rebooted the iPad, launched Home App, and problem fixed as everything looks normal matching the iPhone!

- Re-added HomePod to iPhone’s Home App.

Regards, and good luck!

Apr 20, 2018 8:11 AM in response to danzola

The steps 1-14 aren‘t necessary. You can delete your homes on both ios-devices and than turn off icloud-homekit. After restart of the idevices, you can open the home app and turn icloud on. After that, the red 1 is gone.

I wait for the answer from apple usa. Because i sent the information to apple germany, but now the case is in america.

Apr 20, 2018 3:44 PM in response to danzola

HI,

So when you finally got the invite to work did you check who that was sent from? Was it still from an alias or having turned off your alias from iMessage and Facebook did it come from your main AppleID?

I still think that's the issue for me, and something I can't get around.

No matter what I do the invite gets sent from the last alias in the list, not my primary. I can't remove all of my alias's so I'm stuck.

Another thing I've noticed is that once an invite is sent and accepted (which then changes the details on my side to whoever I sent to) I can no longer remotely use HomeKit with any device.

Hopefully Apple are sorting this. I've also sent info and clear repro steps.

Apr 22, 2018 8:39 AM in response to SimonPickard

Hi SimonPickard,

The invite came from the other person‘s main address on iCloud. In my case, I think the problem was on the receiving end though. The sending side would have no issues sending homekit invites to any other AppleIDs, it was just mine on the receiving end getting stuck.

Have you looked, for the sender, at appleid.apple.com to ensure it matches what you would expect? You can do an Edit under Account to change the AppleID account to any of the aliases you might have defined there. If that looks good, considering Homekit seems to use iMessage under the covers to send/receive the invites, then on the sending device of the invite I would also go to Settings, then Messages, then Send & Receive, and at the bottom you could try changing the ”Start new Conversations from” to your desired address. I doubt this is related, but maybe worth a try.

Regarding your last statement, have you enabled Remote Access to each of the invited IDs to allow them to do so? Or are you saying it prevents remote access even for the owner of the house?

HomeKit invitation failure / spinning wheel on specific Apple ID's

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.