Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

One user ID/password for all devices/apps

How do I change my old I-cloud user ID to my Apple user ID which is my current e-mail address? I am unable to do it in settings on iPhone or on Apple website.

iPhone 6s

Posted on Mar 16, 2018 10:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2018 1:46 PM

nimrod639 wrote:

Current iCloud user ID is an old gmail address different from my current email address which is also my current Apple user ID for all accounts other than iCloud. So when I get a prompt to access my iCloud account it automatically lists my Apple user ID as the old e-mail address. It will not allow me to change my user ID for iCloud to the user ID for my other accounts.

Thanks for your help.

OK, so when you go to your Apple account via a browser on a computer: Apple - My Apple ID, and you sign in with your current "Apple" ID, do you see your "old" iCloud ID under "Reachable At?

What do you see if you go to that same sign in screen, and sign in with your "iCloud ID"? Do you see an entirely different set of information under Apple ID and Reachable At than you do when you sign in with the current "Apple" ID?

If so, then that means that you have two separate Apple accounts, one which you are using as your "Apple ID" account, and one that you are using for your iCloud functions.

What iCloud functions are you using?

We need to determine if we are working with one or with two separate Apple accounts here.

The reason I put "Apple" and "iCloud" in parentheses, is because both of them are actually Apple IDs. They both live on an Apple account. If the Apple ID itself ends in iCloud.com, then you have one address that is actually used for both functions.

However, most Apple accounts have an Apple ID that does not end in iCloud.com, so they have that email address showing under Apple ID, and the linked iCloud ID shown under Reachable at. But in reality, those two IDs can be used interchangeably for any Apple function.

Cheers,

GB

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2018 1:46 PM in response to nimrod639

nimrod639 wrote:

Current iCloud user ID is an old gmail address different from my current email address which is also my current Apple user ID for all accounts other than iCloud. So when I get a prompt to access my iCloud account it automatically lists my Apple user ID as the old e-mail address. It will not allow me to change my user ID for iCloud to the user ID for my other accounts.

Thanks for your help.

OK, so when you go to your Apple account via a browser on a computer: Apple - My Apple ID, and you sign in with your current "Apple" ID, do you see your "old" iCloud ID under "Reachable At?

What do you see if you go to that same sign in screen, and sign in with your "iCloud ID"? Do you see an entirely different set of information under Apple ID and Reachable At than you do when you sign in with the current "Apple" ID?

If so, then that means that you have two separate Apple accounts, one which you are using as your "Apple ID" account, and one that you are using for your iCloud functions.

What iCloud functions are you using?

We need to determine if we are working with one or with two separate Apple accounts here.

The reason I put "Apple" and "iCloud" in parentheses, is because both of them are actually Apple IDs. They both live on an Apple account. If the Apple ID itself ends in iCloud.com, then you have one address that is actually used for both functions.

However, most Apple accounts have an Apple ID that does not end in iCloud.com, so they have that email address showing under Apple ID, and the linked iCloud ID shown under Reachable at. But in reality, those two IDs can be used interchangeably for any Apple function.

Cheers,

GB

Mar 16, 2018 1:01 PM in response to nimrod639

OK, so again, what do you mean by your "current iCloud user ID"? Do you mean it is an Apple ID that ends in iCloud.com? Because that is the critical question here.

Also, if you have already set up a brand new Apple account with your "current email address" then you have two Apple accounts, so we have to determine what is where on which account in order to determine if there is an easy way for you to go forward with just one of them.

So, if you could please explain what distinction you are making between your "current iCloud user ID" and your "current Apple ID" that would be helpful. Why do you call them by two different appendages? Do you use one exclusively for iCloud and one exclusively for iTunes?

Just so you know, there is no way to "merge" two Apple accounts, so, depending on how you have been using these two separate Apple accounts, the solution to making them as close as possible will specifically consider the best way to do that based on your usage of these two accounts.

Cheers,

GB

Mar 19, 2018 9:32 AM in response to gail from maine

Thanks for your help.

One user ID/password for all devices/apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.