Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

yes to no

I recently got a refurbish 27" Retina iMac.

One crazy glitch I keep encountering is that it insists on changing "yes" to "no" and visa versa. If I keep typing it usually switches it back, but if I just type the word, I'm out of luck. Anyone else experience this? How can I fix it?

iMac with Retina 5K display, iOS 10.3.3, 27" 2017 refurb model 3.8 GHz Intel

Posted on Mar 16, 2018 9:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2018 2:24 PM

Hmmm, this sounds like it would be a great April Fool's Day prank. I did some experimentation and duplicated exactly what you're experiencing on my iMac Pro, and I suspect I could do the same on my iPhone too.

Open the keyboard preferences and check to see whether somebody added some 'Replace with' options for 'No' and 'Yes' under the 'Text' options as shown below.

User uploaded file

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2018 2:24 PM in response to Kort

Hmmm, this sounds like it would be a great April Fool's Day prank. I did some experimentation and duplicated exactly what you're experiencing on my iMac Pro, and I suspect I could do the same on my iPhone too.

Open the keyboard preferences and check to see whether somebody added some 'Replace with' options for 'No' and 'Yes' under the 'Text' options as shown below.

User uploaded file

Mar 16, 2018 10:04 AM in response to dialabrain

I've never had this happen either and have been using Macs since the 90s. This just started happening when I purchase this refurb iMac. I updated from Time Machine from an older PowerMac (though never had that issue there). The latest OSX updates are installed, but it has been happening since I got the system. I wonder if that is why it was returned and I have some sort of lemon.

Mar 16, 2018 10:09 AM in response to Kort

I suggest you use the program created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. It will provide a snapshot of your system which we can analyze to possibly determine the cause of your problem. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. On the screen with Options, please open Options and check the bottom 2 boxes before running. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

Mar 22, 2018 2:35 PM in response to Kort

Did you confirm that your system keyboard preferences are set up to auto-correct similar to what I showed in my screenshot? If yes, then in my household I always look to my two kids who have quite the sense of humor.

Like others have said, other than practical jokes, in 39 years working with Apple products I have never seen a system do this without some type of intervention from another individual. Thirty years ago I was the guy who would rewire a mouse or the yoke of a CRT of a vacationing coworker so that everything would be inverted or reversed when they returned to work. Yes, some people enjoy these types of pranks. I suspect that these keyboard preferences sync to iCloud, and that's how they migrated, but I'm no expert in that area.

Mar 22, 2018 2:38 PM in response to iCare

Perhaps the previous owner of my refurb iMac set those preferences before sending back. I did a Time Machine backup from my old system, but that obviously didn't wipe out all of the old settings. There are some other issues i am facing too, like not being able to set a home page for Safari, and other weird quirks like not being able to automatically sign in.

It is worrisome that this setting was able to migrate from this iMac to other devices connected via iCloud.

Mar 23, 2018 6:11 AM in response to iCare

Yes, I did. Now this system isn't auto-correcting Yes to No. I don't think it was a in-family prank, or even a co-worker prank. I used to do such things years ago as well. There was even a disc you could buy that contained system plug-ins that would alter things on a pre-OSX Mac much like you said. I suspect that it was done on the reburb iMac before I got it and backing up from Time Machine didn't alter that setting.

Now I just need to figure out how to get this iMac to auto-log in (it won't let me for some reason), as well as let me change my home page in Safari. For some reason why I try to set the home page to something else, it won't take.

Thanks for the tip, it helped!

yes to no

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.