Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I hide a specific book on my new iPad?

I’m not new to Apple products. I’ve had a Mac since 2015 and an iPhone since 2016. It was with my iPhone that I started downloading free books from the iBook store. Once I accidentally downloaded a preview or the complete book (can’t remember which, but it appeared on my gallery) on sex advice (lol) instead of the book I was interested in. When I realized that, I managed to hide it both on my Mac and on my iPhone. The thing is... I got an iPad yesterday and as it belongs to my school I wasn’t the one setting everything up. I did use my Apple ID to have my Mac, my iPhone and the iPad with the same account. But when my teacher showed me how to export a pdf book to iBooks, the app opens, asks if I want to connect it to iCloud, I press “No” and next thing I know all of the books I had ever downloaded for free were there including the hidden one. I was super embarrassed. What I cannot understand is how could this happen if I did not accept to use iCloud with iBooks when the app asked me if I wanted to. But even if I did, shouldn’t it have shown the way it does on both my Mac and my iPhone? Currently I have like two or three books showing in “My Collection” as opposed to the 10 books that were shown in 2016. I removed some because I did not find them interesting (I am conscious that they still appear as my purchased books).

My iPad shows the 10 books as if it was late 2016. Why isn’t My Collection on my iPad updated as it is on both my Mac and my iPhone? How can I change this? The only possible way right now is to deactivate the option of showing my iCloud books but still the hidden one will keep showing when I activate that option again. Please help me. I’m very confused.

Posted on Mar 16, 2018 11:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2018 7:16 AM

Was it yesterday that the books showed ? There was a bug with the stores yesterday that caused hidden items to show (hiding purchases : Hide and unhide music, movies, TV shows, audiobooks, and books - Apple Support).

The iCloud prompt was likely asking if you wanted to use iCloud Drive for the app (Use iCloud Drive or iBooks to access your PDF files, ePub files, and books - Apple Support), not whether or not to show iBookstore purchases that are only in the cloud (that is set on/off via the bottom of the Collections list).

My iPad shows the 10 books as if it was late 2016. Why isn’t My Collection on my iPad updated as it is on both my Mac and my iPhone?

The 'sync collections' setting, if that is what you are using, doesn't copy books between devices (nor delete them from a device), all it does is if you move a book into a collection on one device it will be moved into the same collection on the other devices/computers. If you had ten books downloaded on your iPad they will remain there until you delete them from it.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2018 7:16 AM in response to marv8604

Was it yesterday that the books showed ? There was a bug with the stores yesterday that caused hidden items to show (hiding purchases : Hide and unhide music, movies, TV shows, audiobooks, and books - Apple Support).

The iCloud prompt was likely asking if you wanted to use iCloud Drive for the app (Use iCloud Drive or iBooks to access your PDF files, ePub files, and books - Apple Support), not whether or not to show iBookstore purchases that are only in the cloud (that is set on/off via the bottom of the Collections list).

My iPad shows the 10 books as if it was late 2016. Why isn’t My Collection on my iPad updated as it is on both my Mac and my iPhone?

The 'sync collections' setting, if that is what you are using, doesn't copy books between devices (nor delete them from a device), all it does is if you move a book into a collection on one device it will be moved into the same collection on the other devices/computers. If you had ten books downloaded on your iPad they will remain there until you delete them from it.

Mar 17, 2018 7:26 AM in response to King_Penguin

Yes! It was March 15. I’m glad it was a bug. Now I understand why it happened. Thanks for the link on hiding or unhiding stuff. On my Mac the book is already hidden, so I was thinking that maybe I should unhide it and then hide it again? That may help with the iPad problem. I’ll see. I’ll try that right now. Or perhaps the book appears hidden already if the bug problem was only for that day. Anyhow, thank you for your quick reply!

How can I hide a specific book on my new iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.