Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to Launch Packages

Hello everyone. Its been a while since I have used a MacBook Pro and and happy (but right now very sad) with the purchase. I am having some issues installing or running applications.

I attempted to install Parallels Desktop by launching ParallelsDesktop-8.0.18619.1001606 . The normal window showed up showing a large icon and install under it. I got an error message that stated:

Parallels Desktop can be installed from a disk image only. Please open the Parallels Desktop DMG file and try again.

But thats why I did in an endless circle until I click show package contents, clicked on the Contents Folder, the macOS Folder and then the install Unix Executable. It then installed. I had to do the same thing with ParallelsDesktop-9.0.24251.1052177.

Then I installed World of Warcraft 1.12.1 and its the same thing. Clicking the WOW Classic Application fails over and over again. But clicking on it and doing Show Package Contents, MacOS, and clicking the World of Warcraft unix executable file launches a terminal window and WOW.

I am assuming this is a setting or something since I have been gone? Can someone help me with the ability to just click wow and it launches?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 16, 2018 11:04 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Mar 17, 2018 7:34 AM in response to Hallowed

Hi there, Hallowed.

I see that you're having an issue with installing applications on your MacBook Pro. When you try, you're met with a message that the application can only be installed from a disk image and to use the *.dmg file provided. I'm happy to help.

How to turn on or turn off your Mac -- Restart your MacBook Pro then test the issue.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac -- Test how it responds in safe mode. If there are no issues, reboot normally and test again in your own user account. Remember this when booting in safe mode: Limited graphics performance in OS X recovery or safe mode

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac -- If the issue is also happening in safe mode, use this article to create and test another user account. This will demonstrate if the issue is isolated to your account, or if it's system wide. You'll need to download an application to test with in this new account.

Let me know how that goes.

Take care!

Unable to Launch Packages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.