Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.11 Photo file name gone?

I just upgraded to 10.11 from 10.10 and was "rewarded" with Photo in place of iPhoto. What I can't understand is why they deleted the ability to display the file name. What a pain to have to type in some form of ID for every photo!

Or am I missing something?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Mar 16, 2018 4:23 PM

1 reply

Mar 17, 2018 3:37 AM in response to DS44

Phots is only showing the titles of the photo below the thumbnail. iPhoto used the filename as the default title, if no title had been assigned, but Photos does not do that. If you want to see the filenames below the thumbnails, you have to copy the filename to the title field.

I wrote script, that can can copy the filenames to the titles as a batch for all selected photos, see:

More batch changing scripts are here: Thematic Index to Photos for Mac Related User Tips:

OT published many of these scrips as compiled versions, so you can run them from the Dock: www.oldtoadstutorials.net/No.P01.html

I like to use PowerPhotos as a second browser for my Photos Library. It can show the Photos Library in a list with metadata displayed in columns or as a grid with titles and subtitles. You can set the subtitle to the filename, the date, or more. These options are available in the free trial version of Power Photos.

https://www.fatcatsoftware.com/powerphotos/

If you want to use it to find duplicates or to merge libraries, you need the full, paid version however.

In PowerPhotos:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

As an added bonus, you can make the background darker.

10.11 Photo file name gone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.