Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to share HD with one user, but not the other ?

I have a Mac Pro that I use to share file across my home network. I also access files with my Macbook pro by VPN. I have 3 shared hard drives.

Now, I need to share file with a co-worker, but only for one of my 3 hard drives. I created a VPN user, he can connect to my mac, but he always see and can access all my 3 HD.

I tried to change HD permission to everyone -> no access, but in that case I lose my shared access too.

I tried to add his user in "sharing&permission", but I only have the option R&W, Read only and Drop box. I can't deny him from accessing the HD. When I add his user and set his access to drop box, he can still read because group "everyone" is set to read only.

I tried to use a command line to force his user to have no access to the HD I need, but when i do that, HD just disappear from the shared list.

How can I keep a R&W access to all my 3 HD, while just giving him access to one HD ?

Mac Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), 2009

Posted on Mar 16, 2018 2:36 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Mar 18, 2018 8:09 AM in response to Microtrash

I'm not sure how to create a "VPN User," but whatever you did might be part of the issue.

You can create "Sharing Only" users in the OS that give them a login to the system, and they only have access to what you give them access to in the Sharing System Prefs.

If you lose access to the drive when you set everyone to "No access," you don't have any permissions on those drives, either. At a minimum, your "group" should have read/write access to the drives. If you are relying on "everyone" to read/write to the drive, you might as well set it to "Ignore ownership on this drive." By default, all local users are in the "staff" group.

If you want to restrict access, then you will need the drive to be managed with permissions, and it must be set up correctly to give specific access to the users which you want to have access.

Except the "Sharing Only" users, any user that connects via file sharing is actually logging into the Mac and will have the same access as if they logged in locally.

How to share HD with one user, but not the other ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.