Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The startup disk cannot be partitioned help!

Hello!

I have a macbook pro (retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) running macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.3.

I am trying to use Bootcamp to download Windows 10 64bit but I get the following pop up:

The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition. The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume or already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing Windows.

Can someone advise me on how to fix this?

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Mar 16, 2018 3:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2018 10:05 AM

Hello and thank you everyone. It ended up being too complicated so I backed everything up, completed wiped my computer and then borrowed a friends pc laptop to fly the PC flight simulator instead of trying to get the bootcamp to work. I literally spent a whole weekend unsuccessfully trying just way above my capability.

Thank you everyone for your help!

Similar questions

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2018 10:05 AM in response to dwaddsy1

Hello and thank you everyone. It ended up being too complicated so I backed everything up, completed wiped my computer and then borrowed a friends pc laptop to fly the PC flight simulator instead of trying to get the bootcamp to work. I literally spent a whole weekend unsuccessfully trying just way above my capability.

Thank you everyone for your help!

Mar 16, 2018 8:00 PM in response to dwaddsy1

Have you already partitioned your drive using Disk Utility? What is the capacity of your drive? How much free space is there? How is the drive formatted and what is the partition schema?

If you want to post screen pics:

To Post A Screen Shot

1. Press Command-Shift-4 which will change the cursor to crosshairs.
  2. Hold down the mouse button and use the crosshairs to select the part of the screen you wish to capture.
  3. Release the mouse button and the image will be saved to your Desktop.
  4. Drag the pic into your open forum editor. If that fails then go to the following steps.
  5. Click on the Camera icon in the toolbar of the forum message editor.
  6. Drag the image onto the Choose File button and click on the Insert button.

Apr 2, 2018 10:42 AM in response to dwaddsy1

I have the exact same problem and the exact same computer as OP.........partition failure error message every single time I've tried using Bootcamp Assistant. I believe it is due to not having enough free disk space. I tried deleting anything non-essential and freed up about 10GB however that didn't help.

I have not already partitioned the drive. 121.xx GB ss drive with 64.79GB free. Partition schema is N/A and Format is APFS Volume (?).

If anyone can assist, please do..... Thanks so much in advance!

Apr 2, 2018 12:07 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I see. My thought was replace the 128gb ssd with 500gb or even 1TB perhaps, and then partitioning it. Is the issue space available on the ssd? Is it even worth a shot with the 67 GB free? Apple says you only need 55GB free.

I previously ran windows 7 on a macbook air and install and Bootcamp use was very easy. I no longer own that machine and seriously need win 10 on this newer MacBook pro, requiring the purchase of win10 x64, so I'm $120 in on this endeavor.

Again I am using the Bootcamp Assistant to set up Bootcamp here, not just partitioning via Disk Utility and attempting a Windows 10 install.

What is my best recourse here?

Apr 2, 2018 12:29 PM in response to Alex Einspruch

When you do that according to the Boot Camp directions, what error messages do you get?

If it is literally "the startup disk cannot be partitioned" that is the problem.

Just as you cannot saw off the branch you are sitting on, you cannot modify the drive that is running MacOS.

Stand somewhere else (like Recovery or Internet Recovery) and the startup disk will no longer be busy, and Disk Utility will try to modify it.

Apr 2, 2018 1:17 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

THE ERROR:

Your disk could not be partitioned.

An error occurred while partitioning the disk.

Please run Disk Utility to check and fix the error.

Excellent description! I UNDERSTAND NOW that I'm sitting on the branch and shouldn't saw through it. I need to stand somewhere else......

So boot from Recovery (need to figure that out) and then run Bootcamp Assistant as the drive I'm trying to modify won't be busy?

Apr 2, 2018 1:56 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

OK i see the recovery boot procedure, and Disk Utility from there. Manually partitioning the disk seems the order of the day. My question now is after I partition the drive to accept the install of Windows, do I click on the .iso of Win10 I downloaded, and direct it to install on the new partition?

Never tried this before.....I'll be searching for a walk through.

Apr 2, 2018 3:18 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Excuse the ramblings. Here's where I am. Working from Recovery, I attempted to partition the Apple 128GB disk and all the space i could muster from the drive allowed me just 41 GB. I tried and failed twice to add the 41GB partition "Bootcamp" (MSDOS-FAT) to no avail.....look like i physically need more space/larger ss flash disk. 500GB flash drive will be on its way shortly if I'm to complete this quest.

The startup disk cannot be partitioned help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.