Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Graphic of MacBook Pro using too much RAM

Hi,

I have a MacBook Pro 15" Mid 2012, with the following specs:

Intel Core i7 2,3 Ghz

8 GB RAM 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel HD Graphics 4000

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1GB RAM

When the mac is using the Intel Graphics, and run the Netflix and some YouTube tabs, booth on Safari, the Mac doesn't freeze, but after a few seconds it automatically change to the NVIDIA GeForce graphics, than start to slow down. I did a test where I had on Safari one tab on Netflix and 5 tabs on youtube simultaneously playing, the Mac freeze up, forcing me to do a hard reset.

I start facing this problems few weeks after the new Mac OS was release, but now it's getting worse.

When I play some games, then it is the worst, and the video settings in the games are at the lowest.

Is someone getting the same problem, or is my mac getting to old now? Or even bad, is Apple slowing down my Mac to "preserve" my battery?

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 16, 2018 6:56 PM

1 reply

Mar 30, 2018 11:25 AM in response to rafaellott

I found the problem and a solution.

The problem is with macOS High Sierra (10.13). Apple did something wrong with the graphic on that macOS version that affect MacBook Pro Mid 2012 and Late 2013. Many people have been complying about, you can read more about it in the links below:

GT650m slow performance under 10.13 High Sierra

https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/74n6pe/high_sierra_and_nvidia_geforce_gt _650m_gpu_reset/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mbp-mid-2012-nvidia-gt-650m-1024-mb-lag-iss ue.1570061/

The solution I found and I did it, was to downgrade to macOS Sierra (10.12). Until March 30 2018, Apple hasn't fixed this problem on macOS 10.13. Until they do, my recommendation is to stay on 10.12, unless you don't care about the high performance video graphics.

Graphic of MacBook Pro using too much RAM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.