Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't we be told when defaults get changed?

I use iTunes on Windows 10. I store all of my music on my NAS, with the music location set up as a network drive (drive letter M:). Well, somewhere around version 12.7 (not sure exactly which one), the update of iTunes changed the default location of my music files back to drive C: WITHOUT ANY NOTICE.

I didn't even realize it until I happened to be looking in my music directory on my system and saw some of the imported music there.

I can understand why some major updates might force a change in some of the defaults, but the least they could do is WARN US that it's happening, and save me the hassle of moving all the music that I imported before noticing it.

I wrote software for years, and if I did that without warning everyone in advance, I would have been seeking employment elsewhere in short order. This is ridiculous. And yes, this has happened before. This one's right up there with "an unknown error occurred" in my book....

Sorry... just had to vent.

iTunes 12.7.3-OTHER, Windows 10, iTunes on Windows 10-64 bit

Posted on Mar 16, 2018 4:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2018 7:09 PM

Well it wouldn't be the first time that iTunes updates have messed with settings, but they shouldn't normally change the designated media folder. Since all my libraries are in the portable shape I'm less likely to spot this one if it goes wrong.

tt2

Similar questions

4 replies

Why can't we be told when defaults get changed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.