Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I’ve recently bought my first MacBook Air laptop! I’ve always had awesome experience with my iPhones so, I thought it’s time to spend the monies on a great laptop! However, only used it a few times so, far! But this evening I was on it for many hours

Syst test revealed that it had some issues and it needed some items looked int. A service pro came on then began going over some issues with me. He introduced me to MacBook Keepe. Naturally I saw this as something that would be useful so, I signed up for 24 months at a really reasonable rat. It did just as he’d explained to me about cleaning up everythin! Howeve, now I’m kinda worried if I made the right decision because I went to Google and have seen a lot of things said about it that’s creeping me out but I don’t want to ruin my expensive MacBook Air I’ve just purchase! Can anyone pleas, offer me their own thoughts about MacBook Keepe? I’m truly very appreciative and grateful for anyones advice! Thank you! This is my very first time posting on here!

Posted on Mar 16, 2018 10:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2018 7:43 AM

Sounds to me that you found poor advice and they led you to install something

unnecessary and potentially damaging to your system. The product if legitimate

should have an installer included; however these sometimes leave stuff behind.

No cleaner or keeper products are required, the macOS takes care of itself. At least

until you (with admin privileges) let something else get in there, that can mess it up.

You may need to contact your method of payment (for mackeeper, etc) and cancel.

And then see about removing the unnecessary software they had you buy; and then

you may also have to re-install the entire system. Hopefully you have a Time Machine

backup from before that happened.

Not sure what else to say.

User uploaded file

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2018 7:43 AM in response to stephaniefromyulee

Sounds to me that you found poor advice and they led you to install something

unnecessary and potentially damaging to your system. The product if legitimate

should have an installer included; however these sometimes leave stuff behind.

No cleaner or keeper products are required, the macOS takes care of itself. At least

until you (with admin privileges) let something else get in there, that can mess it up.

You may need to contact your method of payment (for mackeeper, etc) and cancel.

And then see about removing the unnecessary software they had you buy; and then

you may also have to re-install the entire system. Hopefully you have a Time Machine

backup from before that happened.

Not sure what else to say.

User uploaded file

Mar 17, 2018 8:20 AM in response to stephaniefromyulee

A service pro came on then began going over some issues with me. He introduced me to MacBook Keepe.

If you let him have access to your machine then you need to

backup your data.

Wipe the hard drive and reinstall your system and software

Change all your passwords and credit cards.

Also, get on to your Credit Card company and cancel that payment.

You have been scammed.

Mar 17, 2018 8:03 AM in response to K Shaffer

I’m so, extremely very confused still! Because when I allowed my MacBook Air to do a System Check (which it suggested) I pressed okay and it did ask me for permission to download the MacBook Keeper! It had pricing information so, I chose the plan that suited my budget. Which ended up being the 24 month plan. This morning when I’m waking up I have the bank calling me in regards of fraudulent suspicious activity! They’ve charged me the entire full amount upfront not the lower monthly cost I’m able to afford! I phoned them and they suggested a much discounted rate with a credit back. When my I was using my Mac for the 2nd time last night a small icon came up in the upper right corner & suggested a security issue so, I let it scan..... it said my Mac was having some issues (everything was in the red status. A person came on saying they’re from Apple & suggested using MacBook Keeper for my MacBook Air. After that I was sent to yet another company which wanted close to $400 for initial setup to run with Keeper? So, I’m seriously wondering what to now...

It says to run it at least once a month. PLEASE help me!

Mar 17, 2018 8:15 AM in response to stephaniefromyulee

Sorry, but there is no "System Check" that a Mac will ask you to do. Unlike a Windows machine, the Mac takes care of itself and does not involve the user to keep it in shape.

So, whatever prompted you do to that was bogus to start with.

Again, if it is a new machine, then wipe it completely and reinstall your system. If you are not sure how to do this, then make an appointment with the Apple Store where you purchased the Mac. They can help you get it back to where it needs to be.

Then, going forward, only put applications on your Mac from the Mac App Store, or from reputable sources (like Microsoft, Google, Adobe, Amazon), and only directly from those vendor sites.

You have been sucked in by unscrupulous people who have convinced you to install garbageware on your Mac that will erroneously report problems, as well as cause problems. No one from Apple is going to solicit your business or call you about issues with your machine. They have no way to know what shape your Mac is in. People calling and telling you that your Mac has a problem are outright lying. I get calls all the time from people telling me my PC has an issue. I don't have a PC. It's all a scam, and you need to protect yourself from these thieves.

With an Apple device, you should only work with Apple, and that should only happen when YOU initiate a call to them. They will NEVER initiate a call to you. If you leave your Mac alone, with just the operating system, and let it do it's own housekeeping, you practice safe browsing habits, youdon't click on links you are not familiar with, and you show a healthy skepticism toward anyone who is trying to tell you what is happening to YOUR machine even though they have no access to it (until you give it to them) you should not have issues. I have a 2013 Macbook Air that I have been using continuously since 2013, and with the exception of a battery replacement (done by Apple), I have never had an issue with this machine.

Best of luck,

GB

Mar 17, 2018 7:13 PM in response to cmbrower

The point is: since it is advisable to wipe the entire drive and reinstall the OS from scratch, there is absolutely no need and it would be a complete waste of time to uninstall an app before the hard drive is completely erased.

And, with MacKeeper, it is best to follow the instructions on their own website since some others do not remove all the things that should be removed. So, here are the app's instructions:

Uninstall MacKeeper™

I’ve recently bought my first MacBook Air laptop! I’ve always had awesome experience with my iPhones so, I thought it’s time to spend the monies on a great laptop! However, only used it a few times so, far! But this evening I was on it for many hours

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.