Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Data usage when HomePod is in standby?

Hi, I’m not sure if this is happening. But since I have mobile broadband with a limited data allowance at home, I was wondering if leaving HomePod always connected to the internet (even when not using it) would consume data?

I’ve noticed an increased usage of data since I bought it. I also disabled to send reports to Apple to avoid any extra data usage but it looks like it wasn’t the problem. Thank you

Posted on Mar 17, 2018 2:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2018 4:00 AM

When you're not actively using the HomePod it will be waiting for the phrase "Hey Siri". It may also be serving as your HomeHub, but that traffic, and checking for updates, should be minimal. Short of running some kind of network analyser it would be hard to be absolutely certain, but the increased usage is probably down to you playing with your new device. If you don't use Siri, and only AirPlay to it from sources already downloaded to your device, then the Internet traffic from it should be negligible.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2018 4:00 AM in response to luca104

When you're not actively using the HomePod it will be waiting for the phrase "Hey Siri". It may also be serving as your HomeHub, but that traffic, and checking for updates, should be minimal. Short of running some kind of network analyser it would be hard to be absolutely certain, but the increased usage is probably down to you playing with your new device. If you don't use Siri, and only AirPlay to it from sources already downloaded to your device, then the Internet traffic from it should be negligible.

tt2

Data usage when HomePod is in standby?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.