Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone got the homepod yet? Want to know what you think of it!

Homepod, issues?

Posted on Mar 17, 2018 3:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2018 4:59 AM

I'm mixed on my feelings about the HomePod. It can be convenient for both music and using it for HomeKit. I didn't really need it as a HomeKit hub because I use Apple TV. However, for the price I don't think it really sounds as good as I was expecting. It doesn't sound bad for it's size. But it doesn't really sound that much different than it looks meaning it sounds like its size, very average. There is no comparison to a real sound system of course. But for the price I was expecting more. Also, Siri is pretty bad for playing anything specific. I have both Apple Music and iTunes Match and I often get Siri playing some random artist or song instead of what I intended. Also, Siri often tells me it can't find the artist in Apple Music or my library which is wrong even though I know it got the request correct. When trying to play an a specific album I feel like a robot trying various ways to say very slowly my request. I'm sure apple will get that sorted. I'm just surprised they didn't realize before release how bad Siri actually was on the HomePod. But if you just keep your requests basic it works good. Like "Play classical music" or "Play Beatles". So basically for $430 with AppleCare I was expecting it to sound better. I'm sure Apple can sort out Siri through software. But the sound is what it is.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2018 4:59 AM in response to jesperfromhovmantorp

I'm mixed on my feelings about the HomePod. It can be convenient for both music and using it for HomeKit. I didn't really need it as a HomeKit hub because I use Apple TV. However, for the price I don't think it really sounds as good as I was expecting. It doesn't sound bad for it's size. But it doesn't really sound that much different than it looks meaning it sounds like its size, very average. There is no comparison to a real sound system of course. But for the price I was expecting more. Also, Siri is pretty bad for playing anything specific. I have both Apple Music and iTunes Match and I often get Siri playing some random artist or song instead of what I intended. Also, Siri often tells me it can't find the artist in Apple Music or my library which is wrong even though I know it got the request correct. When trying to play an a specific album I feel like a robot trying various ways to say very slowly my request. I'm sure apple will get that sorted. I'm just surprised they didn't realize before release how bad Siri actually was on the HomePod. But if you just keep your requests basic it works good. Like "Play classical music" or "Play Beatles". So basically for $430 with AppleCare I was expecting it to sound better. I'm sure Apple can sort out Siri through software. But the sound is what it is.

Mar 17, 2018 9:19 AM in response to jesperfromhovmantorp

The HomePod is a great piece of kit, however, what is required urgently, Multi room function and the ability to pair two HomePods. There is no sign of these basic functions from Apple. Some are now indicating they will come in the Autumn, much later than most people expected.

I have two Sonos One’s upstairs and they have those basic functions. The Apple HomePod in my opinion sounds much better than the Sonos speakers, however, the delay in basic functions is now getting a little tiresome. I find Siri fine and performs much better than some of the poor reviews out there. Overall, Apple needs to bring forward those basic functions sooner rather than later.

Mar 17, 2018 1:29 PM in response to jesperfromhovmantorp

Apples HomePod is nothing short of amazing. You may have listened to music on a Bose or Sonos speaker - but until you’ve experienced HomePod you’ve never truly heard the music. You’ll notice vocals and instrumentals in your most favorite songs you’ve never even realized was there.

The bass vibrates brilliantly throughout the entire room. The HomePod speaker is an experience you’ll love every single day.

People’s biggest gripe is the comparison of Siri not being as capable or intelligent as rivals. However, apples focus on Software updates and user interface is always at the forefront of the company values. With the A6 chip in the HomePod, a software update when Apple is ready can transform Siri from the runner up, to the revolutionary Home Assistant.

Additionally Apple Care+ warranties it for 2 years for any accidental damage. I personally can’t see a Con to purchasing the best product on the Market.

Mar 19, 2018 11:41 AM in response to jesperfromhovmantorp

I am using my HomePod at the office. At home I use Sonos because of it's ability to play music from a local server from music I've ripped, various streaming services and it's multi-room capability.

The HomePod sound is pretty impressive but the Siri integration is problematic for me (Siri doesn't understand and/or Siri's response volume is way too loud).

I think Apple has a few kinks to work out (it often can't find tracks that have been matched in Apple Music) but overall I'm generally happy with it.

Anyone got the homepod yet? Want to know what you think of it!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.