Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos Won't scan 75% of Library

Photos is stuck about 25% through my photo library. My photos are all on my Mac.

Here is what I've done:

- Shut down & rebooted in safe mode.

- Held SHIFT and double-clicking on the Photos app to open.

- Quit Photos, (it did not appear to crash.

- Opened Terminal & typed: diskutil resetUserPermissions / ‘id -u’

- Waited for the command to run then saw “User permissions have been reset”

- Restarted MacBook Air

- Opened the Photos app and allow 5 minutes to reset everything that was cleared in Safe Mode.

- Quit Photos.

- Set System Preferences for MacBook Air to not sleep.

- Left it plugged in & running for ~12 hours, but it has made no progress

MacBook Air, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Mar 17, 2018 5:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2018 11:33 AM

Where will Apple put my photos if I conform?

They are stored inside the library package.

Can I get to them manually?

If you use Photos as intended you don't need to access the original files manually. If you need one for use outside of the library for purposes other than editing just export the original or edited versions, whichever you need, to the Desktop and use from there.

They are

For use in other apps, if the app has been updated to work with the new system and Photos you can access the photos thru the media browser in that app.

What happens if I want to migrate them to some other platform in the future?

You can export either the original or edited versions to folders on the hard drive. There is an AppleScript that will export the albums from Photos to folders with the same name on the hard drive.

Managing the images with Photos lets you assign keywords, titles, descriptions to them for greater organization purposes like many professional DAM (digital asset management) apps do. Also editing is nondestructive as the original file is always keep untouched as the digital negative.

The script I mentioned and others can be accessed here: Thematic Index to Photos for Mac Related User Tips:

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2018 11:33 AM in response to jaswilsox

Where will Apple put my photos if I conform?

They are stored inside the library package.

Can I get to them manually?

If you use Photos as intended you don't need to access the original files manually. If you need one for use outside of the library for purposes other than editing just export the original or edited versions, whichever you need, to the Desktop and use from there.

They are

For use in other apps, if the app has been updated to work with the new system and Photos you can access the photos thru the media browser in that app.

What happens if I want to migrate them to some other platform in the future?

You can export either the original or edited versions to folders on the hard drive. There is an AppleScript that will export the albums from Photos to folders with the same name on the hard drive.

Managing the images with Photos lets you assign keywords, titles, descriptions to them for greater organization purposes like many professional DAM (digital asset management) apps do. Also editing is nondestructive as the original file is always keep untouched as the digital negative.

The script I mentioned and others can be accessed here: Thematic Index to Photos for Mac Related User Tips:

Mar 17, 2018 10:09 AM in response to jaswilsox

Photos is stuck about 25% through my photo library.

Are you trying to migrate a library to Photos, open a Photos library or repair a Photos library?

download and run Etrecheck. Copy and paste the results into your reply. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

User uploaded file

Mar 17, 2018 11:25 AM in response to jaswilsox

So you're using a "referenced" library, right? Are all of the image files jpegs? Is Photos freezing during the import of image files or just when opening the library.

Try creating a new library and import the folders into the library by dropping them on the Photos icon in the Dock. A new library may get by the

In the import window check the "Keep Folder Organization" checkbox.

User uploaded file

That will give you an album in the side bar for each folder imported with the same name as the folder. That will give you essentially the same folder organization as you have on the hard drive.

You have read this user tip and are aware of the downsides of using a "referenced" library, right?

:Disadvantages of a Referenced Library in Photos

Importing folders into Photos with that checkbox checked will give you the same folder organization as you have on the hard drive.

In Finder: In Photos:

User uploaded file User uploaded file

Mar 17, 2018 8:40 PM in response to jaswilsox

You do not "put photos" into a smart album - you create a smart album with a specific criteria and it shows all photos meeting that criteria - in the case I posted all referenced phoros

make a smart album (file menu ==> new smart album) for -- Photo - is - referenced -- and open the album and select all and use the Photos file menu ==> consolidate command

The only smart album you show is "Jims smart album" and you are not showing it's contents - Smart albums show with a gear icon to the left of them like the ones here

User uploaded file

LN

Mar 17, 2018 11:26 AM in response to Old Toad

Thank you.

I've been fighting this for years now. If I use Photos (or iPhoto) as Apple intends, it moves my photos from my folder(s) somewhere and obfuscates them. If I'm clear on where that is, and if I can access them manually, it may just be time for me to stop fighting this battle and leverage the benefits of conforming. My concern is losing them. My secondary concern is, should I migrate from Mac (I did so 1996-2007), Apple may make it impossible (or at least impractical) for me to take my photos.

So my questions are:

- Where will Apple put my photos if I conform?

- Can I get to them manually?

- What happens if I want to migrate them to some other platform in the future?

Again, I really appreciate the help.

Mar 17, 2018 12:10 PM in response to jaswilsox

Conforming is a crazy statement since every decision you make requires that you conform to the results of that decision - if you decide to fly on a vacation you have to conform to TSA and airline rules and the airline schedules, if you decide to drive you have to conform to the driving rules, if you decide to take the bus you have to conform with the bus line rules and schedules, etc - with Photos you have many choices and if you choose to use the Photos application (which is totally optional) then likewise you have to conform to the rules - as to where you store your photos you have two options, referenced and managed and each decision means you have to conform with the rules of that decision - with the referenced library they are now well implemented and the rules are pretty hard to follow and even if you do there are situations where you get in big trouble like replacing defective hardware of moving to a new system not to mention the very high likely hood of user error causing major problem

As to "conforming" it is trivial once your library is working which I do not think it is now - if it is then simply make a smart album (file menu ==> new smart album) for -- Photo - is - referenced -- and open the album and select all and use the Photos file menu ==> consolidate command to make a manager library - once it is managed and tested you can backup everything up and delete the photos outside the library

Or you can start over using the directions Old Toad provided to keep the folder organization you have (probably the best for you)

And if you start over with a new empty library the issue you posted about should be gone

LN

Mar 17, 2018 12:26 PM in response to LarryHN

Thanks. I suppose my word choice of 'conform' may seem condescending. That was not my intent. It is just that nothing is as simple as is conveyed in grand visions. For example, I only use Google Drive because iCloud has a limited focus that does not make sharing many things easy.

I will, most definitely, keep my photos backed up on (multiple) external USB drives so that I have them in their present form (won't apply to new photos unless I find a way to manually do that... which I may do).

Nevertheless, it seems time to adopt the convention (a more positive characterization?). '-j

Thanks, again. I really do appreciate it.

Mar 17, 2018 8:21 PM in response to jaswilsox

You don't exactly "get pictures into a smart album". A smart album is a database query. It "contains" (displays) the photos that match the query. For example, if you created the smart album with the single criterion "Camera model" "includes" "Canon", the smart album would display all photos in your library that are marked as being taken with a Canon camera.

What criteria did you define for your smart album?

Mar 18, 2018 8:19 AM in response to LarryHN

Larry, I am sorry. I'm really trying to get this.

I did exactly what you said, but no photos are in the folder (it has a gear next to it, and I did set up the rule to include all referenced photos as you instructed). When I highlight it and go to File > Consolidate, I get a message "No Referenced Files to Consolidate." That makes sense since there are no photos in the album.

If I highlight the folder 'My Albums' (under which my one Smart Album, 'Jim's Smart Album,' is nested), and I highlight those photos then go to File > Consolidate, I get the same message.

In Photos > Preferences, I have checked 'Copy Items to the Photos Library,' which I think is a carryover from iPhoto to not move photos. Is that preventing something?

Mar 18, 2018 8:37 AM in response to jaswilsox

If you are copying imported items to the Photos library then you have a managed library not a referenced library which is a good idea - referenced libraries are not a good idea

So you have a different problem

What software did you last use this library with (what did you just upgrade from)? What version of the OS do you now have?

LN

Mar 18, 2018 8:42 AM in response to LarryHN

I am on the latest MacOS, 10.13.3. I was at the latest version of Sierra. I had a 1 TB OWC drive which ran great until I tried to upgrade to High Sierra. Then it blew up, and I reinstalled the original Apple SSD, did a TimeMachine restore, then upgraded to HS.

Again, I have never used iPhoto, and have always manually kept my photos (since, ~1994) in folders.

Photos Won't scan 75% of Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.