Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A fix for images that go black in iMovie

I have a fix for the problem of importing images into iMovie, and the images turn black. I bring the image up on my screen in Preview (or other graphics app) and take a screen shot of the image (Command+Shift+4). This saves the image to my hard drive as a .png file.

I rename the file so I know what it is, then I import it into iMovie. So far, it works fine every time.

I'm curious why the screenshot of the image always works fine, but when I create the image in a graphics app as a .png or .jpg file, sometimes it works, and often times it doesn't?

iMovie 10

Posted on Mar 17, 2018 8:30 AM

6 replies

Mar 17, 2018 10:35 AM in response to Rich839

You bring up the very thing I don't understand. I didn't change the format in my original.png files.

1. I can start with a .png image that doesn't work in iMovie.
  2. I bring it up and take the screen shot that saves the image as a .png file.
  3. The screen shot.png works just fine, but the original image.png goes black in the video.
  4. They are both .png files, yet the original doesn't work, and the screenshot version does.
  5. What is it about the screenshot.png that makes it work?
  6. ???

Mar 17, 2018 12:37 PM in response to CoachMack

1. The screen shot.png works just fine, but the original image.png goes black in the video.
  2. They are both .png files, yet the original doesn't work, and the screenshot version does.
  3. What is it about the screenshot.png that makes it work?
  4. ???

I don't know the technical reason. Perhaps someone on this forum might chime in if they know.

Possibly the specs of the two .png images are not exactly the same. Or maybe different algorithms are at play.

Also, sometimes reformatting even to the same format that it is already in will somehow cleanse the file of conflict issues. For example, sometimes an Mp4/AAC file that iMovie supposedly supports will not work in iMovie. But it will work when reformatted in the Handbrake app to what appears to be the exact same Mp4/AAC format. Go figure.

-- Rich

A fix for images that go black in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.