Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AP-specific PW vs. my normal PW?

How to know when to use an AP-specific PW or my normal PW?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 17, 2018 6:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2018 10:31 AM

App specific passwords are required when using 3rd party applications for e-mail and to access iCloud. Using older OS/IOS versions can also require them.

"App-specific passwords allow you to sign in to your account securely when you use third-party apps with your Apple ID.

App-specific passwords are single-use passwords for your Apple ID that let you sign in to your account and securely access the information you store in iCloud from a third-party app. For example, use app-specific passwords with Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, or other mail, contacts, and calendar services not provided by Apple. App-specific passwords maintain a high level of security and help ensure your Apple ID password won’t be collected or stored by any third-party apps you use.

To generate and use app-specific passwords, your Apple ID must be protected with two-factor authentication.

You also need an app-specific password for your devices that use Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 and earlier or iOS 5 and earlier. If you don’t have devices that can be updated to iOS 9 or OS X El Capitan, you can set up two-step verification and generate app-specific passwords."

Using app-specific passwords - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2018 10:31 AM in response to pchat

App specific passwords are required when using 3rd party applications for e-mail and to access iCloud. Using older OS/IOS versions can also require them.

"App-specific passwords allow you to sign in to your account securely when you use third-party apps with your Apple ID.

App-specific passwords are single-use passwords for your Apple ID that let you sign in to your account and securely access the information you store in iCloud from a third-party app. For example, use app-specific passwords with Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, or other mail, contacts, and calendar services not provided by Apple. App-specific passwords maintain a high level of security and help ensure your Apple ID password won’t be collected or stored by any third-party apps you use.

To generate and use app-specific passwords, your Apple ID must be protected with two-factor authentication.

You also need an app-specific password for your devices that use Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 and earlier or iOS 5 and earlier. If you don’t have devices that can be updated to iOS 9 or OS X El Capitan, you can set up two-step verification and generate app-specific passwords."

Using app-specific passwords - Apple Support

Mar 17, 2018 2:41 PM in response to pchat

Thank you for the reply. I have 2-factor already but wanted to know when I had to use the App specific PW vs my normal apple PW. While 2-factor does provide better security, it also means one is "punished" for using a 3rd party application such as something from Microsoft like Mail for the Mac.

While I have you on line, is there a way to set up a easy to get to Emoticon icon on Apple Mail like there is for MS Word? I also find that calendar events from MS Outlook for Mac do not easily transfer (sync) from a calendar to my iPhone. Any suggestions?

thank you

Paul

Mar 17, 2018 9:01 PM in response to pchat

it also means one is "punished" for using a 3rd party application such as something from Microsoft like Mail for the Mac.

You are not being punished. It is your personal choice to use a 3rd party app.

Apple is ensuring your data's security when not using their apps, where that level of security is built in using your Apple ID credentials. An app specific password ensures this as it is a combination of your current Apple ID password and a 2SV/2FA verification code.

AP-specific PW vs. my normal PW?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.