Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Doubled Network Connection Wi-Fi / Ethernet

Hi guys,

For some of you I have probably trivial question.

When I use two network connections at the time Wi-Fi and Ethernet to the same network (same Time Capsule router) like this:

User uploaded file

Can this scenario make problems or is it ok? Or are there any benefits doing this?

Are then those connections used both simultaneously or which one have priority?

Is there a way to check and figure out which connection is used for what? For example Safari Downloads, App Store, Software Update, etc.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience, have good evening everyone, bye...

Manoli

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), 15-inch 2017

Posted on Mar 17, 2018 9:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2018 6:52 AM

I was also asking if there is a way how to check actual usage of those two active network connection? Which one is in use at what time, maybe how much data is transferred, maybe which process is using which connection?

The last question is easiest: for Internet connections the one at the top of the ordered list is the one in use, while others in the ordered list are available for use, and as I pointed out W-Fi is also required for certain functions even if it is not primary. In other words, for those functions, Wi-Fi has to be "on" with a green indicator in Network Preferences.

As for checking present and aggregate usage there are a number of ways to accomplish that task, but here is one app I find useful: Bandwidth+ on the Mac App Store.

Manolis_from_Prague wrote:

Great, getting two completely oposite answers. :-)

Only one of them is correct. You can decide which.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2018 6:52 AM in response to Manolis_from_Prague

I was also asking if there is a way how to check actual usage of those two active network connection? Which one is in use at what time, maybe how much data is transferred, maybe which process is using which connection?

The last question is easiest: for Internet connections the one at the top of the ordered list is the one in use, while others in the ordered list are available for use, and as I pointed out W-Fi is also required for certain functions even if it is not primary. In other words, for those functions, Wi-Fi has to be "on" with a green indicator in Network Preferences.

As for checking present and aggregate usage there are a number of ways to accomplish that task, but here is one app I find useful: Bandwidth+ on the Mac App Store.

Manolis_from_Prague wrote:

Only one of them is correct. You can decide which.

Mar 17, 2018 9:14 PM in response to Manolis_from_Prague

Hi, connecting two network cards to the same network is a bad idea, it may create a loop inside your computer.

In computer programming, a loop is a sequence of instructions that is [continually repeated] until a [certain condition] is reached, and if the condition isn't reached your computer will execute and execute and execute consuming all resources for no benefit.

Mar 18, 2018 3:13 AM in response to Manolis_from_Prague

Can this scenario make problems or is it ok?

It's completely ok.

Or are there any benefits doing this?

Yes. The fastest possible connection should be the one at the top of the ordered list, which answers your next question as well. Regardless of which one that is, you will need Wi-Fi "on" for various macOS features, such as unlocking your Mac with an Apple Watch. It can be anywhere in the ordered list.

Mar 18, 2018 3:13 AM in response to John Galt

But I would believe John Galt's it sounds more logical. As you need Wi-Fi on for various macOS features doesn't make sense turning Wi-Fi off just because of wired ethernet connection availability. Also I believe that Apple solution would not be that bad that it would knock down connectivity just because of doubled connection to the same network is available.

Thanks guys for an advice, have great day...

Manoli

Doubled Network Connection Wi-Fi / Ethernet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.