Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 2 Operating System out of date!

Please tell me when my iPad 2 will be able to support iOS 10. Some apps no longer work on iOS 9.3.5

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 9.3.5

Posted on Mar 17, 2018 9:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2018 10:36 AM

That’s never going to happen.

The iPad 2 has an underpowered CPU and a paltry 512 MBs (NOT GBs) of RAM.

The iPad 2 doesn’t have the needed hardware power to run even the barebones, strip down version of iOS 10 that it would receive IF it could run iOS 10!

You would NOT be happy, at all, with the performance of your iPad 2, either, IF it was able to run iOS 10.

Which apps no longer work?

Any apps already installed on an iPad should still work and function as they always have.

The exception to this rule maybe some older version games on the iPad.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2018 10:36 AM in response to DavidC180660

That’s never going to happen.

The iPad 2 has an underpowered CPU and a paltry 512 MBs (NOT GBs) of RAM.

The iPad 2 doesn’t have the needed hardware power to run even the barebones, strip down version of iOS 10 that it would receive IF it could run iOS 10!

You would NOT be happy, at all, with the performance of your iPad 2, either, IF it was able to run iOS 10.

Which apps no longer work?

Any apps already installed on an iPad should still work and function as they always have.

The exception to this rule maybe some older version games on the iPad.

Mar 17, 2018 11:06 AM in response to DavidC180660

All right.

Here's what to.

First, forget using the bank app and start accessing your bank online through your web browser, instead!

But before you DO that, forget/STOP using that old, out of date and unsecure version of iOS Safari for iOS 9.3.5.

Look to other, more current and up to date, third party web browsers that are still supporting iOS 9.3.5.

Here are some third party web browsers that are still being updated and supported on iOS 9.3.5.

Perfect Web browser

iCab Mobile Web browser

Dolphin Web browser

Aloha Web browser

Maxthon Web browser

Opera Web browser

Good Luck to You!

Mar 18, 2018 3:37 AM in response to MichelPM

Yes, obviously I will have to stop using the app and continue online banking via my Safari web browser (which is the browser I'm familiar with and, therefore, prefer) like I always used to. The app was great because I didn't have to enter the full online banking ID which I could never remember. I suppose at some point in the future I will have to buy an up-to-date iPad!

Mar 18, 2018 5:16 AM in response to DavidC180660

If you are going to continue to access the Internet and continue to use your iPad for banking , I SERIOUSLY & STRONGLY suggest you no longer use that, unsecure, out of date, over 2 year old version of Safari and switch AND learn to use another third party web browser that has stil kept up pace with recent updates and STILL has support for iOS 9.3.5.

That iOS 9 Safari HAS NOT RECEIVED ANY TYPE OF UPDATES OR SECURITY UPDATES in over two years.

Stop using it and pick another web browser from my list, find one you may like, install it, learn it and use it.

Especially if you are doing ANY type of banking transactions or other business/banking transactions online.

STOP using an old unsecure web browser. Now!

OR, buy a new iPad that has a current, up to date and secure version of Safari on iOS 11.

Mar 18, 2018 3:41 PM in response to DavidC180660

Well,

Third party web browsers for your current iPad are either very cheap (a few dollars, support for these third party web browser apps doesn’t always come free, developers need to make money, too!) or free.

A new iPad, just to get a single, current Safari web browser, is not free, nor cheap!

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

My wife is not that tech savvy either, and she has managed to learn how to use another third party web browser in short order.

Some of these third party web browsers run, somewhat better than that two year old iOS 9.3.5 version of Safari.

The decisions are up to you

iPad 2 Operating System out of date!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.