Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Always the last library used opens when my iPhone is plugged in to my iMac

I have 3 Photos libraries on my iMac (macOS High Sierra 10.13.3, Photos 3.0), the System library and libraries “A” and “B”. The System library is correctly selected as such and is used exclusively for iPhone imports.

When I plug in my iPhone X (iOS 11.12.6) to my iMac Photos opens with whichever library was last opened, not necessarily the System library, which is where I want to import all iPhone photos to. I´m probably missing something here, but is there a way to always make just the System library open when I plug in my phone? Thanks for any help/suggestions! Cheers, Ian.

Posted on Mar 17, 2018 10:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2018 10:22 AM

Yes - what you are missing is that when you launch Photos (exactly like it was in iPhoto) the last used library always opens - what you are describing is 100% correct and the way Photos is designed to work

There is no option to have something other than the last used library open and since yours is the first time I've seen this in over ten years I'd guess that there is not a lot of demand for that feature but you can request it - Product Feedback - Apple

LN

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2018 10:22 AM in response to Ian Leckie

Yes - what you are missing is that when you launch Photos (exactly like it was in iPhoto) the last used library always opens - what you are describing is 100% correct and the way Photos is designed to work

There is no option to have something other than the last used library open and since yours is the first time I've seen this in over ten years I'd guess that there is not a lot of demand for that feature but you can request it - Product Feedback - Apple

LN

Mar 17, 2018 10:44 AM in response to LarryHN

Thanks for replying so quickly, Larry! I was incorrectly assuming that a System library would always open by default when an iPhone is plugged in, and am relieved to hear that Photos is working just as it should! I only noticed this when I recently set up two new libraries because my System library was (for me) becoming too unwieldy. I won't bother Apple with feedback, it´s no big deal and anyway it´s very easy to switch libraries, thankfully! Ian.

Always the last library used opens when my iPhone is plugged in to my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.