Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

picture in picture swap problem

Hi,

I'm using iMovie 10.1.8 on a macbook pro 2016 latest OS.

Having a weird problem with PIP and the swap feature. Instead of it swapping out full screen I get this black border around the clip... it actually looks like this in playback.

User uploaded file

weird thing is when not in playback it appears to be fine... see below

User uploaded file

any idea why this happens?

many thanks.

Posted on Mar 17, 2018 11:22 AM

Similar questions

12 replies

Apr 9, 2018 8:37 AM in response to Zooloo303

Hi,

I don't think it is a bug. I used two 4k 29.97fps vids to do a PIP swap, and it worked fine. I couldn't duplicate the issue that you have. Are you possibly using 4k at 60fps or higher? Apple's literature says that it can edit 4k at 30fps. Other users of this forum have reported problems with 4k 60fps.

However, you might just have a corrupt preference. Try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys, and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. Sometimes that cures glitches. Also, if you have been working in the same project try creating a new project and see if the PIP swap works there.

-- Rich

Apr 9, 2018 11:23 AM in response to Zooloo303

Actually, I stand corrected. I wasn't following your directions correctly. My apologies. I played with this a little more with 4k clips and I am experiencing the same issue with the PIP swap feature that you are. It doesn't malfunction with two lower res clips, but it does malfunction with two 4k clips and with one 4k clip paired with a lower res clip. So it probably is a bug with 4k as you suspected.

You might be able to split off the specific sections of the clips that you are working with, copy and paste them back in so you have two sets, add the PIP to the first set, and then reverse the timeline position of the second set of clips from top to bottom, and add in another PIP. Or work with 1080 clips for that specific section. It's still very hi def and might not even be noticeable.

-- Rich

picture in picture swap problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.