Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi keeps dropping

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a 13" early 2015 Macbook Pro (3.1/16/500), I upgraded it to High Sierra but I have noticing a few issues. The most persistent and very annoying is the wifi. When I'm on a video conversation on messenger.com, the wifi keeps dropping and immediately connect again, which makes it very hard to discuss as I kiss half of what the person says on the other side.

While doing some research I can see that many people have been having similar issues but the solutions offered are always specific to the user so I am just wondering if anyone has any ideas about what I should do.

Thanks is advance for your help guys

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 17, 2018 11:12 AM

Similar questions

16 replies

Apr 18, 2018 2:20 PM in response to naturalganja

No need to be sorry. I was going under the assumption that the connectivity issue was on the 5 GHz band as that was what the numbers you provided me earlier indicated so that's why I recommended that you try others ... so it could easily be "my bad."

If it is either band, then you don't need to "look" for a specific 5 GHz network, any should do ... like one at your local coffee shop. The idea is to verify if your notebook is having connectivity issues will any network, not just yours.

Only Apple can give you a cost estimate; however, before going this route, there are a few things you can try:

Mar 17, 2018 11:32 AM in response to naturalganja

Thanks for the additional details. I'm trying to help you rule out Wi-Fi interference or the MBP itself as being the issue. By trying other Wi-Fi networks would help determine if the MBP is the culprit.

However, a few things to try before doing so are:

1. If your condo Wi-Fi network broadcasts on two different radio bands: 2.4 & 5 GHz, try connecting to the other band to see if it stays connected more effectively. Note that the higher frequency has more difficulty traversing through things, like walls. So if your MBP is connecting to the 5 GHz band and you use it in a room where the wireless router is NOT located, this may be the reason.
  2. Create a new user account on your MBP. Log-off of your current account, and then, log back in with the new one. Do the drop-offs still continue with the new account?
  3. Staying with your current user account, relocate your MBP to near the wireless router, hold down the option key, and then, click on the Wi-Fi icon on the macOS menu bar. Note the values for :
    • Security
    • Channel
    • RSSI
    • Tx Rate
    • PHY Mode
    • MCS Index
  4. Jot them down. Then move your MBP to other areas in your condo where you typically use it for Internet access. Note the values and jot them down as well. Please post these values so I can get an idea on how well your MBP is connecting to the wireless network.

Mar 17, 2018 11:50 AM in response to Tesserax

When I use my internet I am always right next to the router.

Here are the specs when I'm in my usual spot:

• Security WPA/WPA2 Personal
  • Channel 149 (5GHz, 80 MHz)
  • RSSI -38 dBm
  • Tx Rate 878 Mbps
  • PHY Mode 802.11ac
  • MCS Index 7

Further away:

• Security WPA/WPA2 Personal
  • Channel 149 (5GHz, 80 MHz)
  • RSSI -51 dBm
  • Tx Rate 878 Mbps
  • PHY Mode 802.11ac
  • MCS Index 7

Regarding the rest, I havane't created another profile, I have to run to work. Also I have tried to connect to the regular network but I could only call someone living with me to try and the call seemed to be ok. I will have to try another call later after work

Mar 18, 2018 10:19 AM in response to naturalganja

The numbers look good. I forgot to add the "Noise" value. Would you please take the measurements at the same two locations, but provide the noise values at each as well?

A couple of things in the mean time:

1. I would strongly suggest that you reconfigure your wireless router's security level to WPA2 only. Since it's not an Apple router, that setting may be something like: WPA2 - AES
  2. The MCS value identifies a number of things, including the number of spatial streams that are being used in the Wi-Fi connection between the router and your Mac. A larger or smaller value is meaningless. Instead it defines the actual connection type. A value of 7 for an 802.11ac connection would indicate that the connection is using 3 spatial streams with a maximum data rate of 877.5 Mbps. Pretty much what you are getting. However, 802.11ac is capable of having connections of up to 1300 Mbps if all the conditions are "right." This would be an MCS value of 9.
    Ref: MCS Index - 802.11n and 802.11ac

Apr 18, 2018 1:17 PM in response to Tesserax

Hi everyone,

this issue is still happening. Today I tried to watch one of the MLB live game on facebook and the issue came back.

I really only have this issue while on facebook live or when doing a video call through facebook messenger. But it is extremely frustrating as the wifi keeps dropping and re-connecting and dropping again etc...

Also this issue only happens when I am on the 5G network of my router, I do not have the issue when I'm on my regular network.

Any ideas what I should do now?

Apr 18, 2018 1:52 PM in response to naturalganja

It may be possible that this 2015 MBP has a defective AirPort Extreme card or wireless antenna that is causing it to loose connectivity on the 5 GHz band at your home.

I don't think you ever answered my question on, whether or not, it has this issue when connected to other 5 GHz networks and would be helpful if it does ... as this would indicate the notebook as being the culprit.

Apr 18, 2018 1:55 PM in response to Tesserax

Thank you for your reply:

1) If the MBP has a defective AirPort Extreme card or wireless antenna causing the issue, how can I can fix this and how expensive should I expect the work to cost?

2)Not sure how I can find another 5G network... I thought you only asked to try another network, not necessarily a 5G, sorry if you felt I never answered, my bad

Apr 19, 2018 11:24 AM in response to Tesserax

Thank you again for your help.

I have done all the steps, but as the computer was restarting after resetting the NVRAM, the progress clocked around te middle and stayed frozen that way for over 20 minutes, until I pushed down the power button. Then restarted it no problem. Not sure if this affects the process we just undertook. Also this issue is not new and I had a lot of problems with restarting after installing new updates and tried many things through this forum too but apparently it is still happening

Wifi keeps dropping

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.