Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i remove old email as apple id

Good Evening, I'm trying to get rid of a troublesome email address which happens to me apple id, I've made an iCloud email address to and I've added this to my account as it now stands as an alias in my account.

I would like to remove the old email address now but it won't let me as it keeps saying I can only use an iCloud.com email address that is added to my account?

I have an iPhone 7, iMac and Mac book pro and they all seem to list slightly different reasons why i can't delete this email as my apple id? I can now login with my new iCloud email address but it won't let remove the old one?

Can someone please advice, it would be a great help

Many Thanks Daryll

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3), Safari 5.1.3

Posted on Mar 17, 2018 11:59 AM

7 replies

Mar 18, 2018 3:04 AM in response to daryll.smith

An email alias is an email address that conceals your actual email address from a recipient. An alias can help you manage the email you receive, and monitor the sources of unwanted messages. You can both send and receive email from an email alias using mail on iCloud.com

With iCloud Mail, you can have up to three active email addresses, and you can turn an email alias on or off at any time. You can also delete email aliases that you no longer want to use. While turning off an email alias is temporary, deleting it is permanent. When an alias is turned off or deleted, email sent to that alias is returned to the sender.

Note: If you had five MobileMe email aliases when you moved your account to iCloud, you retain the five aliases. However, if you delete one of your five aliases, you can’t create a new one to replace it.

You can’t use an alias to sign in to iCloud.com, and you can’t use an alias to create a separate Apple ID.

Create an email alias

1. Click the Action pop-up menu User uploaded file in the sidebar, then choose Preferences.
  2. Click Accounts.
  3. Click “Add an alias.”
  4. Provide the requested information:
    • Alias: The text you provide becomes the email address (alias@icloud.com). An alias must contain between 3 and 20 characters.
    • Full Name: The name you provide appears in the From field of the messages you send.
    • Label: iCloud Mail uses the label to categorize messages sent to the alias.
    • Label Color: Messages sent to the alias appear in your Inbox with the colored label that you specify. Alias labels appear only in Mail on iCloud.com.
  5. Click OK, then click Done.

Change, turn off, turn on, or delete an alias

1. Click the Action pop-up menu User uploaded file in the sidebar, then choose Preferences.
  2. Click Accounts.
  3. Select the alias in the Addresses list, then do any of the following:
    • Change the name or label: Enter a new alias name and label in the fields provided. Alias names must contain between 3 and 20 characters.
    • Choose a new color for incoming messages: Click a Label Color option. Alias labels appear only in Mail on iCloud.com.
    • Turn off an alias: Select “Disable alias.”
    • Turn on an alias: Deselect “Disable alias.”
    • Delete an alias: Click Delete.
  4. Click Done.

Set a default address to send from

2. Click Composing.
  3. Click the “Set a default address” pop-up menu, then choose the address you usually use.
  4. In the list of addresses, select the ones you want to be able to send from while using iCloud Mail.The selected addresses appear in the From pop-up menu when you create a new message.

Select addresses to send from on your device

• On your iOS device, do either of the following:
    • On iOS 11: Go to Settings > Accounts & Passwords > iCloud. In the Advanced section, tap Mail, then enable the addresses you want to use in “Allow sending from.”
    • On iOS 10 or earlier: Go to Settings > Mail > Accounts > iCloud (or Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > iCloud). In the Advanced section, tap Mail, then enable the addresses you want to use in “Allowing sending from.”
  • On your Mac, open Mail, then choose Mail > Preferences. In the Composing pane, click the “Send new messages from” pop-up menu, then choose the address you usually want to send from.
  • On your Windows computer, do one of the following:
    • In Outlook 2010, 2013, or 2016, choose File > Info > Account Settings > Account Settings, click the Email tab, select the address you usually want to send from, then click “Set as default.”
    • In Outlook 2007, choose Tools > Account Settings, click the Email tab, select the address you usually want to send from, then click “Set as default.”

Mar 18, 2018 11:13 AM in response to Eric Root

Eric, I must be honest I missed that, I have tried this a few different ways now can't seem to do anything with it now.

If I try deleting from my phone it say can't delete go to iMessage and FaceTime settings (which i've done all of my devices and its removed from all)

If I try via my iMac i get the following 2 screens:User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

I've removed the actual emails from the screen grabs but you can see the top is via Mail - Preferences tab on iCloud and the bottom is the link you sent me, as you can see i get no option to delete, is this as you've said because its only 2 days old maybe i need to wait to 30 day point?

Thanks for your help on this guys it is much appreciated

Daryll

Mar 18, 2018 1:11 AM in response to Eric Root

Eric Thanks for your reply, I currently have a non iCloud email address and trying to swap it for an iCloud email address i've just created. it reads: Could not update email - You can only add the @icloud.com address that is already on file in your account.

The iCloud email address is on my account under alias and i've used it to login and it works, i've also looked at you guides above and removed iCloud from all my devices and left on my phone the where i'm trying to do this from

Any more ideas or can anyone else help please?

Mar 18, 2018 6:34 AM in response to tygb

Hi tygb,

I see where i've gone wrong now, however I can delete this alias, when i go into preference settings via mail it doesn't show the edit or delete fields? I don't have the mail app though so i'm doing this via iCloud mail app.

If i try to delete the alias on my phone it says i can't go to imessage or FaceTime settings, which i have removed the alias from here however i can't seem to remove the alias from the screen just untick the box as it were

please help as i really don't want to be stuck with an alias that's no use to me

how do i remove old email as apple id

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.