Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: iPad Air 2 will not upgrade to latest iOS

iPad Air 2 is stuck in iTunes mode , will not upgrade to latest iOS.

First tried over WiFi which is how I normally upgrade the iOS , worked fine in the the past , but this time it would get about half way into the upgrade and would stop. I tried this numerous times on different days.

I had some spare time yesterday so I thought I would try to upgrade by connecting my iPad to my laptop with my USB charging cable and it failed.

Now I am stuck with a iPad in restore mode no matter what i do. I have tried 4 USB cables , one brand new, two different laptops , and two USB ports on each laptop with the different cables.

Called Apple Support last night with no luck, and again this morning hopping to get another tech with a different perspective . No luck this morning either.

The best I can come up with is wait till Apple releases a new update for iOs and try again to download and install the update. Looking for any help I can get please . Apple store is too far away to take in , and am not a big fan of the mail in option.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.1, Unlocked

Posted on

Page content loaded

Mar 19, 2018 3:52 PM in response to Jim Connerly In response to Jim Connerly

Was the iPad jailbroken? What error are you getting? Also, if your iPad is stuck in restore mode, try holding in both the home button and the sleep/wake button to get it back to operating normally (unless something malfunctioned that prevents it from doing so.)

Mar 19, 2018 3:52 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 19, 2018 7:51 PM in response to Royce771 In response to Royce771

No the iPad was not " Jailbroken " , totally stock so to speak. it was also working well until i tried to upgrade iOS 11 to the latest version by connecting it to my Mac laptop with a cable .

I usually upgrade over WiFi , which worked fine for my iPhone , but did not work for the iPad this time . Not sure what happed . It seemed to download normally , but would only get about halfway through the upgrade and stop . It did not stop the iPad from working. It only got stuck in "Recovery mode" after I tried to upgrade while using the cable connection between the ipad and laptop.

Mar 19, 2018 7:51 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 31, 2018 9:32 AM in response to Royce771 In response to Royce771

No the iPad was not " Jailbroken " , totally stock so to speak. it was also working well until i tried to upgrade iOS 11 to the latest version by connecting it to my Mac laptop with a cable .

I usually upgrade over WiFi , which worked fine for my iPhone , but did not work for the iPad this time . Not sure what happed . It seemed to download normally , but would only get about halfway through the upgrade and stop . It did not stop the iPad from working. It only got stuck in "Recovery mode" after I tried to upgrade while using the cable connection between the ipad and laptop.

Mar 31, 2018 9:32 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 31, 2018 2:40 PM in response to Jim Connerly In response to Jim Connerly

I have the same problem after upgrading to iOS 11.3 yesterday. Ipad is displaying coonevt to iTunes. When I do that it attempts to upgrade then restore and finally comes up with error 56. Spoke to Apple support for 2 hours with no luck - different cables, different USB ports. Took it into Apple store they basically did the same but could not get it to upgrade or restore. Then they offered me to purchase a refurbished or new iPad- how generous of them. My iPad had worked perfectly before attempting the upgrade. Very very disappointed with their response.

Mar 31, 2018 2:40 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 31, 2018 3:37 PM in response to Wezzy4598 In response to Wezzy4598

I remember awhile back there was a problem with an upgrade on a regular Mac that was caused by the memory speed of the Mac being upgraded , and the upgrade would basically BRICK the Mac.

i think there is something going on that Apple is not admitting at this time since my iPad was doing just fine until I did the system upgrade , just like yours.

i got a new iPad , but kept my old one till I figure out wha going on . It seems to me to be more software based , than hardware since I really baby my equipment. Apple has not really impressed me with their iOS software lately, too many foul ups.

i talked to Apple Support again because my Apple Watch 3 would not upgrade to the newest system software . Took three attempts , and rebooting both iPhone and watch 3 times. Before that it kept telling me it would take 41 hours to complete, strange.

thanks for the reply and help ,

Mar 31, 2018 3:37 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: Jim Connerly

Question: iPad Air 2 will not upgrade to latest iOS