Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Family Share Setup Question

I want to set up Family Share but fear what might happen. Currently I have an apple id and two of my children share it. My husband also has a separate apple id and one of our son's uses that one. If I set up family share, am I able to designate two adults that have parental rights with separate apple id's, or can only one of use be in charge? Also on my apple id, two of my son's have a YouTube Red subscription, on my husband's id our third son that uses that also has a YouTube Red subscription, if I merge everyone on Family Share is this going to mess up subscriptions?

Posted on

Question marked as Apple Recommended
Answer:
Answer:

Family Sharing has no way to designate parental rights at all. It's not how it works.

You can set up more than one adult to approve or deny Ask To Buy requests from other Family Members if you need to.

Request and make purchases with Ask to Buy - Apple Support

But that is it. All other Parental Restrictions are set on devices, and have no relation to Family Sharing.

If using Ask To Buy, the children would need to have their own Apple IDs. Otherwise Ask To Buy would not Apply to the Apple IDs that belong to adults.

Family Sharing and Apple ID for your child - Apple Support

With Family Sharing one Apple ID is chosen to be the Family Organizer, and this Apple ID is used to pay for all purchases made by everyone else in the Family Group.

Subscriptions are not shareable, and remain only on the Apple ID that initiated the subscription, and would not be affected by family sharing.

What types of content can I share with my family using purchase sharing? - Apple Support

If new Apple IDs are created for the children, they would be unable to share the Youtube Red subscriptions from your and your husband's Apple IDs.

Posted on

Page content loaded

Question marked as Apple Recommended

Mar 17, 2018 1:06 PM in response to deniserfromtx In response to deniserfromtx

Family Sharing has no way to designate parental rights at all. It's not how it works.

You can set up more than one adult to approve or deny Ask To Buy requests from other Family Members if you need to.

Request and make purchases with Ask to Buy - Apple Support

But that is it. All other Parental Restrictions are set on devices, and have no relation to Family Sharing.

If using Ask To Buy, the children would need to have their own Apple IDs. Otherwise Ask To Buy would not Apply to the Apple IDs that belong to adults.

Family Sharing and Apple ID for your child - Apple Support

With Family Sharing one Apple ID is chosen to be the Family Organizer, and this Apple ID is used to pay for all purchases made by everyone else in the Family Group.

Subscriptions are not shareable, and remain only on the Apple ID that initiated the subscription, and would not be affected by family sharing.

What types of content can I share with my family using purchase sharing? - Apple Support

If new Apple IDs are created for the children, they would be unable to share the Youtube Red subscriptions from your and your husband's Apple IDs.

Mar 17, 2018 1:06 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Mar 18, 2018 11:50 AM in response to deniserfromtx In response to deniserfromtx

Your children should have their own Apple IDs. Phil has provided the information for that. Below are some ideas for switching their IDs while minimizing data loss.

There may be some data loss, but you can minimize it. If syncing photos with iCloud, ensure Optimization is turned off in Settings/Your Name/iCloud/Photos. Then make sure full resolution photos are on the device. When signing out of iCloud, if asked whether you want to retain data, choose yes. Messages conversations will be lost if they are addressed to the ID. See the article below for other places that the old ID should be removed. Also set up Family Sharing to keep access to your apps. Also see Winston Churchill's response in the below discussion

How to transfer all files from one iCloud account to another

Mar 18, 2018 11:50 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: deniserfromtx

Question: Family Share Setup Question