Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What spillage repair do I need?

Recently I damaged my Macbook Pro Retina 13" Keyboard by spilling less than 5ml of Contact Lens solution (saline) on the corner of my macbook keyboard (near the power button) The keyboard instantly started malfunctioning and i'm guessing that the ions in the solution causes the keyboard to short circuit. The keyboard is now completely not responding. I am able to use the macbook by plugging it into a desktop and everything works fine, which im guessing means that the internal components other than the keyboard is fine. The mousepad works fine as well.

Does this mean I can just get a keyboard replacement or do I need to completely replace the top case of the macbook??? What repair do I need?

Posted on Mar 17, 2018 1:13 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Mar 17, 2018 1:23 PM in response to sfromstanmore

I'd recommend that you have the MacBook evaluated at an Apple Authorized Service Provider. While the computer works for now, it's entirely possible for the liquid to seep from the keyboard tray onto the logic board. At that point, you're looking at an expensive repair.

Here's how to locate an Apple Authorized Service Provider: https://locate.apple.com/

Mar 18, 2018 8:09 AM in response to sfromstanmore

A MacBook that has suffered liquid damage could need extensive repair or replacement, or could just require wiping off the spill with a tissue. We are not able to commit to what kind of repair your computer will need any more than we'd be able to diagnose and recommend repair to a damaged automobile based on a brief description of the damage.

While we apppreciate your faith in our ability to reach out and have a look at your MacBook from locations all over the gobe, it would still make more sense to have the computer evaluated at an Apple Authorized Service Provider. Here's how to locate an Apple Authorized Service Provider: https://locate.apple.com/

At the end of the day, if you go on whatever repair recommendation you get from us and end up with your computer in worse shape than when you started this odyssey, you will not have the result you need nor the trust in anything else we might have to say.

Have someone qualified take a look.

What spillage repair do I need?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.