Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro mid 2012 Restoration

I just purchased a new 13" MacBook Pro 2017 and copied all my data from my existing 13" MacBook Pro mid 2012.

I want to restore the MacBook mid 2012 to provide a clean unit to my best friend.

My concern is that I have kept up with all updates, and particularly, the IOS to High Sierra 10.13.3.

Will a Restore to factory specifications maintain the IOS High Sierra 10.13.3 as well as all other updated applications?

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 17, 2018 2:03 PM

3 replies

Mar 17, 2018 2:31 PM in response to Larry0154

By definition, restoring to factory settings means wiping all the applications except what would be factory installed such as iTunes, Safari, etc. I believe it should be possible to do a "factory reset" to High Sierra though through Internet Recovery. It might work to just install on top of your current setup, but it won't wipe your personal data, if that's what you were looking to do.

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Command (⌘)-R Install the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac, without upgrading to a later version.*
Option-Command-R Upgrade to the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac.**
Shift-Option-Command-R
Requires macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later
Install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the version closest to it that is still available.

I believe the mention about Sierra 10.12.4 means that the firmware update required to perform it would be installed automatically with the OS updates. But if that firmware update is installed and an earlier version is then reinstalled, it should still be able to access that.

I'm still not quite sure what would be considered the "version that came with your computer" for a mid-2012 MBP although they do say "the version closest to it that is still available". The mid-2012 MBP initially came out with Snow Leopard, and over the years it shipped with Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks, and Yosemite. I heard it's supposed to be Lion because Internet Recovery doesn't have Snow Leopard on its servers.

Macbook Pro mid 2012 Restoration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.