Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Cannot access AOL mail in Apple Mail

For the past several days, I have not been able to access AOL mail in Apple Mail program. After re-typing my password, I am told that the system cannot verify the email. I have checked with the AOL mail on the aol.com website, and my user name and password both work correctly there, so the problem is not with my password. I notice that there is now two-step verification on AOL mail at aol.com. Could that be the problem?

Mac mini, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), Mail 11.2

Posted on

Page content loaded

Mar 17, 2018 4:08 PM in response to andrehinds1956 In response to andrehinds1956

You probably need to use an App-specific password to log into the app:

Using app-specific passwords - Apple Support

Use the generated password instead of your Apple/iCloud ID password to sign in.

Cheers,

GB

Mar 17, 2018 4:08 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 17, 2018 6:22 PM in response to gail from maine In response to gail from maine

Gail's suggestion does not apply to me. I use a specific password for AOL mail, one that I set up way back in 1992, not tied to my Apple ID. I tried the suggestion, but it failed just like before. But I do very much appreciate Gail's help.

Mar 17, 2018 6:22 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Mar 17, 2018 6:23 PM in response to Eric Root In response to Eric Root

Eric's suggestion also does not apply here. One cannot set up IMAP and other servers in Apple Mail. Eric's suggestion is for people trying to access Verizon mail on AOL mail (now that Verizon own AOL). I very much appreciate Eric's help, though.

Mar 17, 2018 6:23 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 18, 2018 8:42 AM in response to andrehinds1956 In response to andrehinds1956

You are welcome. I have 3 AOL accounts (Verizon) set up as IMAP in Apple's Mail program. I do not have 2 step verification. If you have 2 step verification turned on, that is likely to be the problem. That takes a password plus another step.

Mar 18, 2018 8:42 AM

Reply Helpful (2)
User profile for user: andrehinds1956

Question: Cannot access AOL mail in Apple Mail