Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: FYI early 2011 macbook pro DOES NOT boot anything over 500gb on SSD

Please know that the Early MacBook Pro 2011 does not work with a 7500 PRM Solid state drive. The MBP will only accept SSD's 500gb or less; For some reason, the system does not boot or recognize the SSD. I tried partioning on disk utility and nothing seems to work.

Please save your trouble and do not try upgrading to 750 SSD.

Apple telephone support line did not help much. They will tell you to go see an authorized retailer that can fix the problem.

MacBook Pro, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on

Page content loaded

Mar 17, 2018 6:54 PM in response to Thameran In response to Thameran

There are a couple things. I doubt your assertion on capacity is true because there are people who have successfully booted 512GB and even 1TB SSDs on an early-2011 MBP.

You didn't mention which SSD. If there's anything that little detail is important especially since there are some drives that don't seem to get along well with Macs. Also - there seem to be issues with the SATA "cable" sometimes where it doesn't work well well with any SSD. Nobody exactly knows the mechanism other that it seems to be from mechanical friction degrading the connection somehow over time.

For the most part, Apple neither says don't do it or do it. You do it at your own risk (I've installed an SSD myself), although they might help you a little if that doesn't mean opening it up. Apple's support at Apple Stores is exception and often free. However, Apple has technically discontinued hardware support for your machine unless you're in California or Turkey.

Mar 17, 2018 6:54 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: Thameran

Question: FYI early 2011 macbook pro DOES NOT boot anything over 500gb on SSD