Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dino with MacBook 5,1 hopes for El Cap upgrade

I have been given a MacBook 5,1 running Snow Leopard 10.6.8. 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3,

processor 2 GHz. 145.37 GB available space. Will this configuration successfully run El Cap? This is my first experience with Mac, I love it but am scared I will break something (yes I am a dinosaur). Thank you.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 17, 2018 7:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2018 8:56 PM

You have the Late 2008, Aluminum, MacBook. The maximum version of macOS it can handle is 10.11.6 El Capitan.

Upgrading to El Capitan

To upgrade to El Capitan you must have Snow Leopard 10.6.8 or Lion installed. Download El Capitan from the App Store. Sign in using your Apple ID. El Capitan is free. The file is quite large, over 5 GBs, so allow some time to download. It would be preferable to use Ethernet because it is nearly four times faster than wireless.

Macs that can be upgraded to OS X El Capitan

1. iMac (Mid 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 7,1 or later

2. MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 5,1 or later

3. MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

4. MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 2,1 or later

5. Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

6. Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

7. Xserve (Early 2009) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

To find the model identifier open System Profiler in the Utilities' folder. It's displayed in the panel on the right. Are my applications compatible? See App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2018 8:56 PM in response to marnia153

You have the Late 2008, Aluminum, MacBook. The maximum version of macOS it can handle is 10.11.6 El Capitan.

Upgrading to El Capitan

To upgrade to El Capitan you must have Snow Leopard 10.6.8 or Lion installed. Download El Capitan from the App Store. Sign in using your Apple ID. El Capitan is free. The file is quite large, over 5 GBs, so allow some time to download. It would be preferable to use Ethernet because it is nearly four times faster than wireless.

Macs that can be upgraded to OS X El Capitan

1. iMac (Mid 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 7,1 or later

2. MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 5,1 or later

3. MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

4. MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 2,1 or later

5. Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

6. Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

7. Xserve (Early 2009) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

To find the model identifier open System Profiler in the Utilities' folder. It's displayed in the panel on the right. Are my applications compatible? See App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps.

Dino with MacBook 5,1 hopes for El Cap upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.